CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Compiler Error when using USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatrixPhreak

Compiler Error when using USB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 am     Reply with quote

My includes:
Code:
#include<18F4550.h>
#include<pic18_usb.h>

The relevant includes in the pic18_usb.h:
Code:
include<usb.h>

The error:
Code:
***Error 112 ".\PICC\drivers\pic18_usb.h" Line 472(1,1): Function used but not defined: ... usb_token_reset SCR=1732

My only error... and it's in a file I haven't even touched. The paths to the relevant includes all seem to be fine (usb_token_reset being defined in usb.h), but I can't for the life of me figure out what keeps giving me that error.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:28 am     Reply with quote

You can't just load 'PIC18_USB.H', without telling the code what type of USB device you are actually wanting to use.
Normally, you would load USB_CDC, USB_CDC2, or the HID drivers, which willl _themselves_ load the PIC18_USB file.
USB has a whole series of 'parts'. The low level driver to actually talk to the periheral itself, the descriptor file, and the higher level functions that call the low level part. PIC18_USB, is the low level driver. It needs the higher level functions, and the descriptor loaded _first_.

Best Wishes
MatrixPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:56 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful, and by going into the example code (specifically ex_usb_mouse.c) to check what #includes I've been missing, I've managed to get it to compile with no errors....

But the code I took from that sample for my main() function isn't working. It should be moving my mouse cursor in circles... and while it programmed nicely, it's not working. Am I missing something critical that I (probably) just decided was extra code I didn't need for my demo? For instance, I left out most of the serial port code and LED code because I didn't think I needed them. My main() function is as follows:
Code:
void main(void) {
   #define MOUSE_SEQUENCE_STEPS  16
   const char mouse_seq[MOUSE_SEQUENCE_STEPS]=
      {0, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, 1, 0, -1, -3, -4, -4, -4, -3, -1};

int8 out_data[4];
   int8 x_seq=0;  int8 y_seq=MOUSE_SEQUENCE_STEPS/4;
   int8 count=0;

while (TRUE) {
      usb_task();
      if (usb_enumerated()) {
         out_data[0]=0; //button state goes here
         out_data[1]=mouse_seq[x_seq];
         out_data[2]=mouse_seq[y_seq];
         out_data[3]=0; //wheel state goes here
         if (usb_put_packet(1,out_data,4,USB_DTS_TOGGLE))
            count++;
         if (count > 10) {
            if (++x_seq>=MOUSE_SEQUENCE_STEPS) {x_seq=0;}
            if (++y_seq>=MOUSE_SEQUENCE_STEPS) {y_seq=0;}
            count=0;
         }
         delay_ms(10);
      }
   }
}

That's taken directly from the example source and compiled as my main() function. Am I missing something big?
MatrixPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Whoops... sorry for the double post but since I'm not actually a member, I can't edit or delete. I definitely missed something in my code.... a nice healthy
Code:
usb_init();

Unfortunately, even with that thrown in there before my while(TRUE) loop... my mouse cursor refuses to move in circles.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

The question now, is whether the device is enumerating?.
Does windows 'see' a new mouse device when the chip is attached?. If not, there are a lot of things to look at:
The connections themselves.
Definition of the connection sense pin. Is it used?. If so, is it wired correctly?.
Clock. Are you sure the clock is programmed correctly for whatever crystal you are using?.
USB power and sense resistors. Have you got the internal 3.3v regulator enabled?. If not are you supplying 3.3v to Vusb. What capacitors have you got on Vusb. What power feeds the chip itself?. Are you using the internal USB transceiver or an external one?. USB detects the device's presence, and it's basic configuration from the two sense resistors. Are you using the internal ones or external ones?.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

So many thanks to you! It works perfectly now! The problem was it wasn't enumerating properly, but now I've got it sorted out, and it works like a dream.

Thank you very much, Ttelmah... your help has been the keystone in getting this thing to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: