CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Board design for 18f452

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robotan

Board design for 18f452
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently designing a board for the 18f452 pic and I have a couple questions. I would like to to run the chip at 40 Mhz. I understand this can be done in two ways: use a 10Mhz crystal and PLL to multiply the clock internally by four. Or, I could just use a 40Mhz crystal. Which method is better? Is one more reliable than the other?
And my next question is about grounding. I have read elsewhere on this board that it is good design practice to use ground planes with analog sensors to minimize noise interference from the digital ground. I have done this, but I am wondering if connecting the two grounds with a ferrite bead or small resistor would help reduce the noise transmitted to the analog ground even further. I have some fairly sensitive analog sensors, so the less noise on the analog ground, the better. Any suggestions?

Rob
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:34 am     Reply with quote

I don't think PICs will support a 40MHz crystal. I think the internal PLL or a full external clock are the only options to run at 40MHz.

The analog and digital ground planes should meet at the A/D or D/A chip ground pin, or at the power supply if there is no A/D or D/A.

Re: Board design for 18f452
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Robotan wrote:
Hello,

I am currently designing a board for the 18f452 pic and I have a couple questions. I would like to to run the chip at 40 Mhz.
Rob

A 10MHz crystal with 4 x PLL is a common, reliable and low cost approach.

The PIC18F452 is one of the first generation PIC18F processors. If this is a new design you might want to consider using the pin compatible PIC18F4620 which will give you more features and capabilities at the same price point.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
dyeatman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

I have a number of designs using the 18F452 and the PLL. The only problem I have ever encountered is known bug where the PLL won't kick in after programming. I have to power the chip off and back on to get it to run at 40MHZ. Beyond that it has always worked with no problems.

As was stated before, the 452 is obsolete. I use the 18F45xx, 46xx for all my designs now.

Dave
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

One thing to do, is to leave provision on the board for a series resistor, between the crystal, and the PIC.
The latest 18F452's are pretty good, but in common wth quite a few of the early PICs with PLL's, _some_ can exhibit problems with the PLL, if overdriven. On these, adding a series resistor, to reduce the overall loop gain, solves the problem. On the newer chip releases, they will usually work if overdriven, but the accuracy of the oscillator, does decline.
I would agree though, use the 4520, or 4620 in preference. These are generally cheaper now, then the 452, and give you the extra flexibility of potentially an extra I/O pin (MCLR), and slightly lower power consumption.

Best Wishes
Robotan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look into using an 18F4620. I do have a place on the board for a resistor between the crystal and the pic, so I'll make use of that.
I'm still curious about the best way to connect the analog ground to the main ground...

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: