CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bit shifting by 12 produces error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evsource

Bit shifting by 12 produces error
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm making a long (16 bits) out of 4 nibbles (4 bits each). I receive 4 bytes in a communications packet, and only the lower 4 bits of each byte contains useful information. I assemble these 4 nibbles into a long. Here's how I was initially trying to do it:

Code:
command_on_line = ( (input_buffer[2] << 12) | (input_buffer[3] << 8) | (input_buffer[4] << 4) | input_buffer[5] );

But the upper byte was just 0x00. I was suspecting that shifting by 12 was shifting it into no-mans land. So I tried this approach:

Code:
command_on_line = make16((input_buffer[2] << 4) | input_buffer[3], (input_buffer[4] << 4) | input_buffer[5]);

The first approach seems more elegant, and I'm just wondering how to make that work. I did try casting like this, but it didn't work either:

Code:
command_on_line = ( (long)(input_buffer[2] << 12) | (long)(input_buffer[3] << 8) | (input_buffer[4] << 4) | input_buffer[5] );

Thanks for any suggestions.
future

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am     Reply with quote

try casting your buffer bytes to long before the shift

(long)input_buffer[2]<<12
evsource

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am     Reply with quote

future wrote:
try casting your buffer bytes to long before the shift

(long)input_buffer[2]<<12

That was too easy! Smile Why didn't I think of that?!

Okay, so which one is more efficient?

Code:
command_on_line = make16((input_buffer[2] << 4) | input_buffer[3], (input_buffer[4] << 4) | input_buffer[5]);

or ...

Code:
command_on_line = ( ((long)input_buffer[2] << 12) | ((long)input_buffer[3] << 8) | (input_buffer[4] << 4) | input_buffer[5] );
ckielstra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Have a look at the generated code in the list file for both versions and you will know.
Sorry, but this is too easy. You can find the answer yourself quicker than the time it took to post the question. Even when you don't understand assembly code it is just a matter of counting lines.
evsource

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

ckielstra wrote:
Quote:
Have a look at the generated code in the list file for both versions and you will know.
Sorry, but this is too easy. You can find the answer yourself quicker than the time it took to post the question. Even when you don't understand assembly code it is just a matter of counting lines.

Hey, thanks ckielstra, appreciate the help.

You know, I didn't have to post this topic at all, you see I had a workaround figured out. But I did post it since I figured someone else might bump into the same problem I had, and would benefit from finding it in the forum.

I hate it when people respond with something to the effect "you dummy, why don't you just go figure it out for yourself" ... hope that boosts your ego.

What would have been more helpful is if you could give some insight into *why* one is more efficient than the other, which could be applied to other coding situations. That's worth a lot more than looking at the list file every time you want to know what coding method is better.
RayJones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

To increase efficiency, forget about performing bit shifts more than 8 bits, especially if you don't need to preserve the carrys.

The PIC can only ever read/write 8 bit values.
16 bit values are a logical construction by the compiler so there is a high 8 bits and a low 8 bits in consecutive memory locations.

For your intended purpose, you do not need to worry about rolling the carry bits through.
You could instead do something like the following using a union to emulate 2 8 bit bytes overlaying a 16 bit word:

Code:

typedef union {
  struct Bytes {
     int8 lsb;
     int8 msb;
  }
  int16 word;
} Val16;

Val16 Value;

Value.Bytes.msb = (input_buffer[2] << 4) | (input_buffer[3] & 0x0f);
Value.Bytes.lsb = (input_buffer[4] << 4) | (input_buffer[5] & 0x0f);

Your desired answer will then be in Value.word

Note that despite the apparent complexity of using structures/unions, the compiler will optimise these operations far better than any attempt at performing 16 bit shifts.
The compiler does a really good job actually.

It is also always worthwhile to perform the bit mask of the low bits to ensure no rogue bits upset your bitwise OR operation.

Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: