CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Has anyone got a low power 5v PIC 240v Switching PSU Design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurquhar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 am     Reply with quote

Up until now when ever I have needed a small low power (less than 5w) PIC psu I have always gone down the linear route. ie put a small encapsulated 6v Tx, bridge rect, smoothing cap and a 7805 on the PCB. Although the Tx is bit of a lump the design is robust and takes a modest amount of PCB space. Laughing

Thinking I may be missing a trick I looked at some switching PSU designs from ST, Power Integrations and National. They all have reference designs for such small PSU's and some have software tools that will design a circuit for you. Great you might think !Wink

However Question
When you look down the designs parts list to see if you can get all the bits from your favourite supplier such as Farnell or RS everything is ok until you get to T1. Shocked At this point you find the part is either not listed or your supposed to wind your own on a std bobbin. Searching the internet may reveal manufactures/stockists of these parts but if you only want 5 parts they are probably not interested or want you to pay a fortune to cover min order charges and shipping, especially if you’re in the UK.

Has anyone cracked this conundrum and can point to a simple generic switching PSU design for a PIC using commonly available transformers? I am thinking of something capable of supplying 50-250mA @ 5v from a 240vac supply.
adrian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:41 am     Reply with quote

I have stripped out the internals of a phone charger power supply for a one-off product of mine - obviously not an option if you want a mass production production. Just an option?
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:50 am     Reply with quote

Check out the National Semiconductor "Simple Switcher" line. They use somewhat standardized transformers that are available in small quantities.

Better yet, learn how to wind transformers. As I work in sonar I had to bite this bullet early. Get a couple of spools of wire, a few cores, build some wooden tooling, and you have a very flexible skill. A worthy investment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 am     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug do you have the formulas needed for transformer winding calculations??
treitmey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 am     Reply with quote

My new most fav chip is the MC34063. under $1/one OR $0.17/2500
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC34063A-D.PDF
Most every car cell phone etc charger uses them.

handy web site config
http://www.nomad.ee/micros/mc34063a/index.shtml

I'd use 240AC thru transformer to less then 40V output.
Full rectify.
Then feed that( less than 40V DC) into mc34063 switcher for 5V DC out.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 am     Reply with quote

crystallattice wrote:
SherpaDoug do you have the formulas needed for transformer winding calculations??

It is not a simple thing to explain. Here is a place to play with the formulas:
http://www.phy.hk/wiki/englishhtm/Transformer.htm

I would start with the switcher chip data sheet and any app notes. Also find the data sheet for the core you want to use. I have a old Ferroxcube catalog that I use a lot. The ARRL handbook is also good and available in most libraries in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54 am     Reply with quote

TI (Unitrode) has for 15 years or more had a yearly seminar on Power Supply Design. They have many good working examples in the handbooks that they have published along with more general design papers. This not only covers their chips, but much information on magnetics design.

Start at ti . com and search down the power applications route.

The books are all up there and are free. 100's of hours of very worthwhile reading.

HTH - Steve H.
crystal_lattice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

It is not a simple thing to explain. Here is a place to play with the formulas:

...I know, thats why i was asking...

I was hoping you had a calculator to calculate the bobbin size/number of turns/ wire size, when you know what your input/output/VA rating is.

Thanx for the link, i will read when i have some more time...

Another option that has crossed my mind is to buy the transformer you want to make a few hundred of and strip it and then make your own.

I have made lots of coils based on "blown" ones and they have worked fine. Winding transformers is not that hard, it's designing them from scratch that takes the most time...
nurquhar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

I have just been looking at the offerings from Power Int. ie the LinkSwitch-XT http://www.powerint.com/en/products/linkswitch-family/linkswitch-xt.

It seems their reference 2-3w/6v design uses an EE16 core transformer. I think I can get those. If I have to wind my own on a blank bobbin are there any guides as to how to do this. ie is at simple as winding n primary and n secondary coils by hand. Do the coils have to be separated by some insulator, fixed by lacquer or any other such considerations that a novice Tx winder would not be aware of ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: