CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS embedded ethernet kit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rougie

CCS embedded ethernet kit?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a few questions about TCPIP with MCU's.

1) What is the difference between the CCS embedded Ethernet development kit and the embedded Internet development kit?

2) Also, I have started to read the Embedded Ethernet exercise manual and I have a question. Please note I am pretty new at this, so all patience will be much appreciated!

If you go to p. 15 (Cover of manual being p.1) of the Embedded Ethernet exercise manual you will see the output that should appear on the serial terminal program as so:

CCS TCP/IP TUTORIAL
MAC: 00:0B:6A:B4:31:8C PROT:0x800 [IP]
MAC: 00:D0:59:7F:23:A8 PROT:0x800 [IP]
MAC: 00:09:5B:E1:30:E2 PROT:0x800 [IP]
MAC: 00:C0:B6:02:92:BD PROT:0x800 [IP]
MAC: 00:03:6D:1D:53:9A PROT:0x806 [ARP]
MAC: 00:C0:B6:02:E2:CA PROT:0x800 [IP]

I understand that the above output is the information that the PIC retrieved from its TCPIP stack. And I understand that each of the line above is the information returned for every MACGetHeader() function call.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but every output line above should signify that the main unit is reading information from six other different devices connected to the network, right? But why did it return six of them. It doesn't make sense, at this point in the exercise manulal, the unit that comes with the kit is not even connected to any other devices???

Mind you I don't physically have the kit yet for I am just reading up on the execise manual to get a feel of what all this is all about.

So, can someone explain to me why informations of 6 different MACs have been detected by the PIC when the main device is not even connected to a network?????

All info regarding my question is greatly appreciated!

Regards
Robert
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the difference between the CCS embedded Ethernet
development kit and the embedded Internet development kit?

Descriptions of the two kits are given on this page:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/content.php?page=hardware

Quote:
Also, I have started to read the Embedded Ethernet exercise manual and I have a question.

CCS doesn't have that manual available for download, so we can't
see what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

If you mean it is not connected by it not having an IP address then yes but the board is connected to the network.

The MAC layer does not need a IP address to see the other mac address of other devices on the network.

That it my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: