CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MPLAB and CCS Linker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sled

MPLAB and CCS Linker
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I've noticed some problems and already contacted tech support, but now I'm curious if other have noticed the same problems. I find it odd that I haven't found mention of these elsewhere...

I'm using the current versions of everything (as of 8/8/08):
MPLAB: v8.10
CCS PCWH: v4.077
CCS-MPLAB plugin: 2.0.0.7

My problems seem to stem from the "LINK=" option that is passed to the compiler. The comma separated string of object files that follows that option appears to be cut off after 255 characters. This normally wouldn't be a problem with moderately sized projects, however, MPLAB tends to use the full path for each object file.

To make matters worse, MPLAB sometimes decides to include the path to each object file twice.

The linker then throws a "file not found" error, but MPLAB is never notified that the linker has stopped. MPLAB continues to think that the compiler is still running so nothing more can be done except closing MPLAB, which then causes an exception.

Also, if the linker does succeed in creating the hex file, the "BUILD SUCCEEDED" message is displayed and MPLAB appears to return to it's idle state. However, if I try to compile again, the compiler never runs and MPLAB goes back into an unusable state.

I've tried playing with several different versions of the compiler and MPLAB (can't find any older versions of the MPLAB plugin), none of which seem to make any difference.

I've found workarounds to get everything working for the time being, but again, I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed these problems.
Bob Sled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

So I guess I'm the only one to ever try multiple compilation units in MPLAB with this compiler?

From more testing, when MPLAB tries to execute a link command, such as:

"C:\Program files\Picc\CCSC.exe" +FM LINK="test.hex=src\main.o,src\test.o,C:\New Folder\Common\src\common1.o,C:\New Folder\Common\src\common2.o" +DF +LN +T +A +M -Z +Y=9 +EA

is where I run into problems.

If the entire command as a whole exceeds 256 characters it will link correctly and appear to be happy, but the .cof file will never be loaded into MPLAB. Trying to compile again just causes MPLAB to go into an unusable state, which then must be exited and reopened.

If the string in parenthesis following the "LINK=" option exceeds 256 characters, the linker itself fails, but never notifies MPLAB, which then must be exited and starts throwing exceptions.

Is anyone able to confirm or deny these things happening on their own setup? I'm really just wondering if I have some odd configuration or if there are more compatible versions of software I should be using. It kind of bothers me that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

See this post from Darren:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26954&start=10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: