CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bluetooth Development

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fvnktion

Bluetooth Development
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:38 am     Reply with quote

This may be a little off topic, but I have gotten some of the most constructive and informative feedback from this forum......so wanted to see if i could get a little more feedback.

Gearing up for a new project using PIC and CCS compiler to implement bluetooth communication, specifically pairing with a cell phone. I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience on this topic and could give me a heads up. Can you suggest a specific vendor development kit that would work well on the bluetooth end. PIC that would be most capable. Books that may be applicable. Cell phones most compatible.

Any info would be great on any of your experiences in using CCS to implement such project.

Thanks,

Mike
libor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I have used BT modules from bluegiga with PICs. These modules work thru their UART port with human readable commands for easy testing, debugging.
I have written some code to discover whether my Nokia 6280 is around and disarm an alarm system. if yes. I have also written some code to send/read SMS thru the BT link.
What is your application ?
fvnktion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 am     Reply with quote

My application will basically be data collection from remote sensors which will actuate phone control(vibrate - phone call - text) based on the data. How much phone access is available by means of the BT? The data will be collected from a remote location via the PIC and data will be sent to the phone.

I have not used bluetooth and am not at all familiar with how complicated it will be to pair with the phone. Do you have some good references to material that i can check out to learn about this?

It sounds like you developed an app for the nokia for your custom application. What tools do you recommend for this?

Thanks for the info!
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I had some really good experience with RN-41 modules made by RovingNetworks. However, I'm using them with laptops, instead of cell phones.

- Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 am     Reply with quote

I planned to use Bluetooth modules in a new design a WHILE ago and was told by a local distributor that the MOQ was a 1,000 (min).

I wonder if the situation has changed?

PS: I stay in South Africa....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Kender.

Looks like a good base platform to get started on. Small little fully functional buggers available i see. Looks like sparkfun has a functional module in a dip package for some easy proto'ing. I think i get a couple of those and the firefly dongle to start doing some development.

Looks like i have some fun programming ahead of me, windows, mobile, embedded, yipee.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: