CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bootloader PC Application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljbeng

Bootloader PC Application
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:14 am     Reply with quote

I want to use the CCS bootloader for my PIC18F6310. I need the pc application that sends the new hex file to run under Windows CE. This is a touch screen using Windows CE 1Ghz processor 256MB ram. The CE application is written using Visual Studio 2005. Where can I find information about writing my own application to bootload a PIC? Thanks.
Wayne_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 am     Reply with quote

This is probably not a good idea.
The code on a pic runs in flash so to boot from a PC means to rewrite a block of flash with the code each time it boots up. Flash has a limited write count.

You are better off letting the PIC startup as normal but to use a booter to allow serial upgrade. When new code is available it uploads to the PIC from the PC via the serial/usb or ethernet interface but the pic will always startup with current code in the flash.

The standard booter allows programming via serial port. Your main code just needs to waits for a specific command from the serial port which forces a reboot into the booter which then waits for a serial upload.

Your CE app just needs to send than command, wait for the pic to reset and then upload the new code. This is easy using either .net compact framework C#, VB.net or even just using C/C++ with Visual Studio.
ljbeng

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I will only update the PIC flash if there is a newer version, not every power cycle....
MarcosAmbrose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 pm     Reply with quote

CodeLoader from "The Byte Factory" http://www.thebytefactory.com/ only requires a terminal application (eg HyperTerminal) to upload hex file to your target board. I'm sure you could find a terminal app for WinCE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: