CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

rs232

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrousduke

rs232
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:48 am     Reply with quote

hello,

I have this problem with rs232. I want to input float value but i am not able to find anything related except rs takes only char ? that is, with the help of functions getc(), putc(), getch() ?

may be i m mistaken with something ?
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:02 am     Reply with quote

The UART only knows bytes. Those bytes can represent chars, or int8s, or parts of bigger variables. Look at the make8(), make16(), and make32() compiler functions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:39 am     Reply with quote

RS232 is a standard only describing the hardware. It allows you to send and receive bytes.

A floating point number consists of multiple bytes, 4 in the CCS compiler, sometimes more in other compilers. You will have to break up the number in byte size blocks, for example with the make8 and make32 functions mentioned by SherpaDoug. The sequence of how you transmit these bytes also depends on the program listening at the receiver side.

What program are you using at the receiver?

Sending the data as readable text is a bit easier, use fprintf with the %f format specifier.
ferrousduke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Indy wrote:
RS232 is a standard only describing the hardware. It allows you to send and receive bytes.

A floating point number consists of multiple bytes, 4 in the CCS compiler, sometimes more in other compilers. You will have to break up the number in byte size blocks, for example with the make8 and make32 functions mentioned by SherpaDoug. The sequence of how you transmit these bytes also depends on the program listening at the receiver side.

What program are you using at the receiver?

Sending the data as readable text is a bit easier, use fprintf with the %f format specifier.

lets say I have a string stored which was earlier gets() from the terminal, this string contains a 6 digit number. so I need to convert the string into a float or int value for further calculations. can you help me with that ?
Steve H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Check the standard C functions

atoi
atol
atof

HTH - Steve H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: