CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CAN FD (flexible data) users?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglsoft

CAN FD (flexible data) users?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Someone used or is starting to use CAN FD (Flexible data) to replace the normal CAN bus?

I'm interested in sharing experiences (I'm trying to start using it) to save development time.

Thank you very much for any response.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any PICs with CAN FD transceivers. What sort of platform/processor/transceiver are you using/considering?
mglsoft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 am     Reply with quote

PIC microcontrollers with CAN FD there yet, but what if there are peripheral microcontrollers with CAN FD.
Observe in the following list, those ending in FD are compatible with the new version of CAN BUS.

Actually I doubt that Microchip now change their CAN controllers internal to the PIC, as this is a great re-engineering, but if these peripherals are used, I think the rest can be done in software, or am I wrong ??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am     Reply with quote

There's no way that you can use a conventional PIC with non-FD compliant CAN capability. You need to have both a CAN FD compliant transceiver and a processor with CAN FD capability.

The transceivers you listed are just that: transceivers. The "heavy lifting" is done in silicon on the PIC. If Microchip made such a processor available, and CCS supported it, then implementing CAN FD would be very easy.

Until then, you're out of luck. If FD is something you desperately require right now, you're not going to be able to use a PIC and CCS. If you don't absolutely require it, you're going to have to wait.

Given that Bosch just patented CAN FD 4 years ago, I really doubt that we're going to see a Microchip PIC with CAN FD compliant hardware for a few years at least.
mglsoft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Too bad, because NXP has some microcontrollers with CAN FD ...

Thanks for helping!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:08 am     Reply with quote

Microchip announced October last year:
"End of 2016, the we plan to release samples of 16-bit micro-controllers featuring on-chip CAN FD modules. A few months later, the 32-bit micro-controllers with CAN FD support will follow."

So look for something near the end of this year.

Prototypes are already available, to development partners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: