CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Special recognition of FSR0 register address

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLScott

Special recognition of FSR0 register address
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 am     Reply with quote

My ISR is #INT_GLOBAL, therefore I am responsible for saving whatever needs saving. So I was saving and restoring the FSR0H and FSR0L register in a PIC18F24K22. In the restore, I noticed that it compiled like this:
Code:

....................    FSR0L = savedFSR0L;
01E0:  CLRF   FEA
01E2:  MOVFF  4E,FE9
....................    FSR0H = savedFSR0H;
01E6:  MOVFF  4D,FEA

I thought it curious that there was a CLRF FEA at the beginning. So I experimented. I defined my own symbol of:
Code:

#byte myfsr0 = 0xfe9

and it compiled the same way, with a seemingly unnecessary CLRF FEA at the top. Then I changed 0xfe9 to 0xfe3, and now the CLRF is no longer emitted by the compiler. So the compiler must be explicitly checking target addresses for 0xfe9 and doing something special with it. Why?

By the way, I eventually sidestepped the whole question by saving and restoring FSR0 as 16-bit words:

Code:

#word FSR0 = 0xfe9

unsigned int16 savedFSR0;
....................    savedFSR0 = FSR0;
0022:  MOVFF  FEA,50
0026:  MOVFF  FE9,4F

....................    FSR0 = savedFSR0;
0206:  MOVFF  50,FEA
020A:  MOVFF  4F,FE9

Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:29 am     Reply with quote

The compiler knows that the FSR, is a 16bit register.
You have to remember that #byte, will generate a 8bit variable at an address, or if there is already a variable of the same name, it locates this at the address, and does not change the variable size.
The compiler knows the register is 16bit, so when you write an 8bit value to this, it knows it has to clear the high byte.....
RLScott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
The compiler knows that the FSR, is a 16bit register.
You have to remember that #byte, will generate a 8bit variable at an address, or if there is already a variable of the same name, it locates this at the address, and does not change the variable size.
The compiler knows the register is 16bit, so when you write an 8bit value to this, it knows it has to clear the high byte.....

It still seems strange that the compiler would ignore my explicit instruction to address FSR0L as an 8-bit target of the move. Does this happen with every 16-bit register pair, like TMR1L? Even if I have a 16-bit variable in my program (not a SFR), I expect that when I ask the compiler to address only one byte of that variable, I expect the compiler to do it without touching the other byte. Something like:
Code:

unsigned int16 var;
#byte var_L = var
var_L = 25;

Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:50 am     Reply with quote

it's specific to the FSR only, and relates to an erratum. Problem is finding it. It doesn't apply to your chip, but I suspect CCS coded the fix as 'generic'.
On certain chips if writing to FSR0L, you must write to FSR0H the instruction before. So if you do an 8bit access to FSR0L, they write FSR0H (clear it). Stupid thing is that if you reverse the accesses (so you are writing to FSR0H the instruction before), it still leaves the clear there!.....

Also, beware that CCS will have the 'Don't use RETFIE 1' erratum ticked for your chip. This is because it applies to chips like the 8722, and it got left on for the K22. If writing your own global handler, you want this turned off....
RLScott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
it's specific to the FSR only, and relates to an erratum. Problem is finding it. It doesn't apply to your chip, but I suspect CCS coded the fix as 'generic'.
On certain chips if writing to FSR0L, you must write to FSR0H the instruction before. So if you do an 8bit access to FSR0L, they write FSR0H (clear it). Stupid thing is that if you reverse the accesses (so you are writing to FSR0H the instruction before), it still leaves the clear there!.....

Also, beware that CCS will have the 'Don't use RETFIE 1' erratum ticked for your chip. This is because it applies to chips like the 8722, and it got left on for the K22. If writing your own global handler, you want this turned off....

Wow, thanks for all the research! Good to know.
RLScott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:

I don't know where that tick box is, but that could be because I am using command-line PCH in MPLAB, not the PCW IDE. In any case, my ISR ends with a #ASM where I explicitly call for RETFIE 1, which does get encoded into as Hex(11), or RETFIE 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: