CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

TC63 GSM module
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks to PCM P for locating the datasheet ! I quickly read through a few dozen pages and it appears to be a very,very powerful device
BUT...
...yes, there's always a 'but'.

You must consider how much time and effort YOU will need to spend on this device! Maybe you have GREAT eyesight and very, very steady hands but to get the device correctly soldered onto a PCB will be a challenge. At roughly $150 USD, I would NOT attempt it. ONE wrong soldering and POOF...
Interfacing to the PIC is easy..USB, UART,SPI,I2C..lots of choices providing you use a 3 volt PIC. remember that..USE a 3 V PIC.
Then there's the 'create-a-driver' issue. While it uses the AT command set, there's a LOT of commands,everyone should be properly 'setup' to get the device to run right. One wrong default and you'll lose a LOT of hair!

When I looked into doing a GSM project for a client, I did a fair amount of research and chose a 'commonly' used device already on a 5 volt module. I'm 'old school 7400 guy' and well like 5 volts! At less than 1/2 price of the TC 'chip' I could buy TWO 'modules'. That's necessary when doing R&D as things tend to go 'poof' sometimes. Also by using a 'known' module, someone else has cut most of the driver code already, documented pros and cons, etc. If you're the 'first' one you could easily spend a month or two getting the hardware correct, and another 2-3 months to cut the driver, Add 1-2 months for testing and well...HALF a YEAR has gone by.
Without knowing the scope of your project, you also need to consider power supply design (GSM take a lot..), size of PIC (bigger is better), enclosure details, HMI (buttons/dsp for humans), cost of course.

hth
jay
Jim90

TC63 GSM module
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:29 am     Reply with quote

if i use the driver of the TC35 would i be able to have a basic communication with a server over gprs?
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 am     Reply with quote

You'll have to find out ! I don't think anyone here wants to read 200-300 pages of datasheets to compare the devices. Frankly that's hours of dull,dreary reading and a pot of coffee. BTDT for my own projects. Since you know what you want it to do, you're the best person to compare and see if the commands/operations are suitable.

Learn by doing....
The more you read, the more knowledge you'll have.
and
REAL time with REAL devices is the best teacher !

Jay
ckielstra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

We still have no clue as to what Joe wants to do with his project so this is all going nowhere.

As already mentioned by other people the TC63i is a nice and very powerful modem, but it is useless when you are going to build a single prototype. The module has a tiny pitch SMD connector that will be difficult to buy in a quantity of 1 and difficult to solder. For a prototype you want to buy a modem that is already attached to a base-board with easy to access connectors. Often this is called a 'terminal' module.
Famous is the old Siemens MC35T (note the terminating 'T' for terminal). Current incarnation seems to be the Gemalto / Criterion BGS2-T
MC Technologies designs a lot of terminal modules around the Gemalto / Cinterion modems.

About GPRS: Keep in mind that many of the cheap modems provide you with the raw IP data. This means you will have to implement an IP-stack on your processor. Possible to do, but from what I understand on this forum is that the CCS supplied IP-stack is quiet old. Microchip provides a much improved version but this will be a huge task to convert to CCS.
A lot easier is it to buy a modem with an integrated IP-stack. Those modems will have a powerful processor and targeted at more expensive markets. Check the features list of your modem of choice to support TCP and/or UDP over AT.
Both the TC63 and SIM900 seem to support TCP over AT.
Jim90

TC63 GSM module
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

I will need a lot of GSM modules which are connected to a server , that's why i am thinking to something more advance (like TC65i).

btw if i will move to something easier i prefere the TC35/TC35i
The TC35 support TCP over AT?
Also what is the different between TC35 and TC35i ?
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

Well I did a real quick googling for tc35 and found some complete boards/ant/PIC friendly units at $25 each qty 1. Considering you say you need a 'lot' compare that price for a COMPLETE working pcb ready for a PIC vs. $160 for a 'chip' that's a nightmare to try to solder to!
Given the project I know I could easily have a 'network' of a dozen TC35s 'up and running' long before you have one tc63 going. Odds are real good you'll destroy the first one SMD is a challenge but micropitch SMD is best left to computers or robots to solder.

jay
Jim90

TC63 GSM module
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Yes but TC35 can establish a robust communication with server ?

also what is the different between TC35 and TC35i?
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:07 am     Reply with quote

1) yes, depending on what you decide is 'robust communication'. The device to me is simply a modem,one piece of a 'system' that includes power supply, modem,PIC,and a 'man-machine-interface' aka kbd/dsp.
Robust to me means it'll survive the cold of Canada,high humidity,getting whacked with a forklift....though others may have other criteria for 'robust'.
2) google 'tc35 tc35i differences' and of the 80,000 hits, there's a Siemens PDF about the 'migration from tc35 to tc35i'. I briefly looked at it and the 'i' version has a tighter power supply spec, draws 30% more current(2A vs 1.5A) and has a few more or different AT commands. Since I don't use either and have no idea what your application truly is I can't say one is better than the other. I do know they are dirt cheap at $25 for a 'plug and go' board, so spend $50 to get 2( the minimum for R&D),connect a PIC, cut code, and see what happens.In less than an hour you should have some answers to your questions. If you want others to do the R&D simply just ask and be willing to pay for the service.
As far as a PIC to use, I like the 18(L)F46K22 as it has 2 hardware UARTs, lots of memory,tons of I/O, cheap too.

hth
jay
ckielstra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

I was going to post more info in this thread but then remembered an earlier post here:
ezflyr wrote:
We've already been down this road a million times? Unless the OP can produce a data sheet for the exact hardware he has then this thread is pointless, and will only end in frustration!

These words turn out to be prophetic...

Jim90 has now posted 10 messages but we still have no clue as to what kind of project he is going to do. Jim is not doing a lot of reasearch himself and is asking questions here that he could have figured out himself in 15 minutes maximum.
If Jim isn't going to release more info I refuse to spent my time here. I'm willing to give my free time and knowledge to help someone who got stuck, but now the topic is going so wide that a link to Google.com seems the best answer.
Jim90

TC63 GSM module
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

I try to create a solar tracker which need able to communicate with server.(a group of solar trackers are connect to the server and have to transfer data to the server).

When i said robust system i mean that each module have to communicate to server under any conditions and the data will transfer without any losses.

I can't find any web shop (in Europe) to buy the TC35 module.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:30 am     Reply with quote

Well now that we know a bit more about the 'project' a HUGE potential problem arises...
Are the device solar powered or connected to 'mains'. I ask since IF solar powered you'll need a HUGE battery to power the units.The TC35 requires about 2 AMPS of current when communicating so you must 'do the math' to calculate system requirements for battery operation.

As for availability of the TC35 in Europe,let Google find them or a similar product that is available.Considering Siemens is on that side of the pond, someone probably has them. If not, you'll have to buy here and have them shipped to you.Better buy 3 or more as it's too easy to destroy one on the bench, one in the filed then have to wait 2 months for replacements.

you might consider some other form of 'wireless' communications modules even 'hacking' a cellphone might be a simple solution.

hth
jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:40 am     Reply with quote

The TC35, is available from several suppliers in Europe, but is listed as a 'discontinued product'. So I wouldn't go with this.

However the big question is the balance between development time, and the cost per unit. There are dozens of 'off the shelf' complete modem modules with either TTL, or RS232 interfaces, and all the hard work done. There are also similar modems much cheaper in USB. Add a Vinculum, and this could actually be easier and cheaper than trying to go DIY. Big advantage also is that these have a defined reasonably low instantaneous current consumption.
However data packets over cellular, do use a lot of power. I did a system some time ago, reporting a status/position etc., from trucks, and I'd not want to be doing this without a reasonable amount of battery. Think how quickly your cellphone runs down if you tell it to make frequent calls, or retrieve a lot of data from the internet. Remember also that the consumption 'shoots up' if the link degrades. Are you sure how good the cellular network is at the intended sites?.

You need to define your data rate. Remember the more data you send, and the more often the modem has to communicate, the more power is needed. If (for instance) your data is small, you could possibly leave the modem 'off' for an hour, then power it up, wait for it to get modem connection, and send the data, and consumption will plummet.

Then no system is going to be reliable. You need the code to check the status returned, and automatically retry if it fails. There will always be failures. The local antenna can fail, etc. etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: