CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Output files from CCS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kongfu1

Output files from CCS
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

All output files from CCS are stayed in same folder with main regardless what was defined as "Output Directory", "Intermediary Directory" etc.

My question, is there any way to generate those files (.cof/.err/.lst/.sym/.tre/.o) in a specified folder?

I am using MPLAB v8.84 and PCD 4.132.
Please help.
Thanks.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

I have to ask why you want to split up a projects files? What's your reason for this?
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 am     Reply with quote

Temtronic, sending output/intermediate output/listings etc. to a different directory has its uses. I would like it as I am not "enabled" to run a source version control system, and I'm forced by company policy to work with my project in a networked drive.

The problem appears to be the way CCS IDE deals with paths. It uses the project directory as a base path for everything. This means that it cannot deal with paths that are on different lettered drives (either real, virtual or mapped network drives).

So, my experience is that you can set the imtermediate paths provided they can be expressed by relative paths from the project path and are on the same drive... which isn't much use frankly.

RF Developer
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:08 am     Reply with quote

One obvious/simple answer would be to just write your own batch file, to perform the required compilation, then move the intermediate files to your specified target directory.

Best Wishes
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Ah, but the reason for wanting the intermediates somewhere else, in my case at least, was speed: it takes much longer to write the listings and stuff to the network drive. Sure, you can put them somehwere else later, but the compilation still takes much longer than it would on a local drive. In my expereince 2mins compared to 10S or so.

Also, while its possible to make the CCS IDE run a script at the start of a compile, it won't wait for it to complete. Yes, probably a post-build script could move the stuff OK.

I'm not at all sure the original poster has this problem however. I'm just saying what they say makes some sense to me.

RF Developer
jeremiah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

mplabx kind of does this by default. They create a folder called <project_name>.X in the area where you want your project and all the output files go into this, though it does have a lot of sub directories, so that is a tradeoff. Also, if you want to add a new file, you have to type "../file_name" in the dialog to place the new C or H file in the code location because it wants to place them in the *.X folder by default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: