CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Secure bootloader

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlevitt

Secure bootloader
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone got any tips / examples using the secure boot segment of dspic30f6012 or similar?

I have played in the past with a bootloader which co-resides in the general segment with my application code. Looks like there is no way for this bootloader to make the application code read-protected, so anyone with an ICD/programmer could then read my [precious] application code.

I want to create a secure boot loader which will exchange ENCRYPTED hex with a PC app. The hex will be decrypted by the bootloader and then loaded into the general segment flash. The general segment MUST be protected against reads using ICD/programmer etc. Probably, the boot segment will have to be protected against reads and writes also.

Any helpful hints or tips or code snippets would be greatly appreciated.
asmallri

Re: Secure bootloader
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

srlevitt wrote:
Has anyone got any tips / examples using the secure boot segment of dspic30f6012 or similar?

I have played in the past with a bootloader which co-resides in the general segment with my application code. Looks like there is no way for this bootloader to make the application code read-protected, so anyone with an ICD/programmer could then read my [precious] application code.

I want to create a secure boot loader which will exchange ENCRYPTED hex with a PC app. The hex will be decrypted by the bootloader and then loaded into the general segment flash. The general segment MUST be protected against reads using ICD/programmer etc. Probably, the boot segment will have to be protected against reads and writes also.

Any helpful hints or tips or code snippets would be greatly appreciated.

I sell standard and encrypted bootloaders for a range of interface technologies including serial, SD/MMC card, Ethernet, SPI, RS485, USB and for various PIC families from the PIC18F to the PIC32MX. I support CCS and Microchip compilers. Currently my support for CCS compilers is limited to the PCH compiler (PIC18F family) due to challenges with the PCD compiler (PIC24 / dsPIC). I support the dsPIC33 family but not the dsPIC30 family as to date, there has been little customer demand to port to the dsPIC30 family.

The code protect fuse(s) WILL prevent the user program space from being read out with an external programmer and yet still allow the bootloader to program flash memory.

Our bootloader software packages include full source code for the PIC, the PC programmer application and the Encrypter application with the programmer application and Encrypter software common cross PIC families. If you are prepared to port our PIC software to your PIC, I believe you will find our software a cost effective solution as all the heavy lifting has already been done for you. Alternatively I can port the software for you for a fee. You will find information and documentation on our bootloader products here: http://www.brushelectronics.com

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: