CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

FAT16-32 read & write for the asking (in C, for AVR)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdb

FAT16-32 read & write for the asking (in C, for AVR)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Many people have been looking for code to read and write FAT-formatted media. Angelo Bannack and Giordano Bruno Wolaniuk made them Razz but for AVR, not for PIC's. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.circuitcellar.com/avr2004/DA3670.html

I am intersted in porting them, but this is not a priority for me, it could take me a long time.
Also, read this from Douglas Kennedy:

Quote:
Interesting but why not use an MMC it is SPI compatible out of the box has a smaller footprint and a simple 4 wire interface
CS data_in data_out and CLK that is a perfect fit with any pic supporting SPI. Since the MMC is a SPI slave and gets its clock from the PIC any timing issues are minimal. CF's and MMC are very similar in price also. If you run the PIC at 3.3v you don't even have to voltage shift. At 5v I go via a 3.3v reg and an open collector (7407) to get the 3.3v for the MMC. Even though the reg and 7407 is no biggie you could I bet voltage shift from 5v to 3.3v via a led and win a power light in the bargain. 4 wires a led a cap and you are in business. MMC commands allow the transfer of blocks of any size on the read so there is no need for additional SRAM the PIC regs are plenty big enough.Typically a 32 byte buffer in RAM on the Pic is all you need. On the write an 18F452 will give enough memory to cover the sector write (512 bytes) the MMC needs. MMC sockets are available from Digi Key and only 7 pins to solder 3.3v CS Din Dout Clk and 2gnds

Anybody willing to participate in porting and adapting for MMC?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Progressive Resources LLC (Indianapolis, IN) sells a FAT file system library for PIC processors and SD/MMC cards.( www.prllc.com ) I believe that the cost is $139 for the source code library.
Pretty reasonable. I plan to buy it if any of my datalogging projects get approved.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> Code Library All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: