CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS ICD doesn't work with my board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OJ

CCS ICD doesn't work with my board
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

I made the first my PIC PCB board, but the CCS ICD is not working with the board. The design of how the board works with CCS ICD has been referenced as the example 20: Migrating to your hardware, it is connected:

1: MACLR, I tried with 13.3K and 50K resistors, both don't work.
2: +5V
3: GND
4: B7
5: B6
6: B3

I took a resistor measurement of the cable I have got from CCS devleopment kit (with this cable and the evboard, it works well), the cable is the connection from evboard to CCS ICD. After the resistor measurement, I realized the number 4 of the cable is not connected or there is a capacity between it. It is different from the excise textbook! why?

When I run ICD connecting with my board, it appeared: No response icd, the firmware is wrong.

Need your helps! Thanks

oj
Woody

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:41 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

A couple of things to check:

- Is the firmware in your ICD right for your target CPU? As far as I understand the ICD-S versions need to get different FW for 16x and 18x CPU's where the IDC-U has only one FW for both.

- Double check the layout of the connector on your board. It is easy to make a mistake in the order of the wires. Connect a logic probe to the MCLR line on your PCB and use the ICD software (Advanced - Other options - PIC16 - MCLR Square Wave) to generate a slow pulse on the MCLR pin.

- The ICD cable should be connected end-to-end on every contact, also on number 4.
I myself had a problem with the RJ11 connector (the female part) on my (brand-new) ICD. Sometimes it failed, giving me a 'could not detect target chip' error. I took apart my prototype board before I found that if I wiggled the connector in the ICD it would work again. Carefully bending the the pins inside the ICD a little upwards solved that problem, but it had me baffled for a while.

Paul
Darren Rook

Re: CCS ICD doesn't work with my board
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:31 am     Reply with quote

OJ wrote:
When I run ICD connecting with my board, it appeared: No response icd, the firmware is wrong.

If this is your problem it sounds like the ICD isn't getting power from the target board. Is this an ICD-S? Is the green LED lit on the ICD?

there is green light in CCS ICD
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:20 am     Reply with quote

The PIN connection should be ok, since there is green light in CCS ICD.
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:27 am     Reply with quote

You didn't answer if this is an ICD-S or an ICD-U.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: