CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

bootloader problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doguhanpala

bootloader problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:56 am     Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am newbie about bootloaders. I have read a few posts here. As i understand after the boodloader you can upload hex via usb or serial pins.

When the pic start up the bootloader checks for a message for a time period(if there is new hex) if there is no message it goes to the main function of the hex. If there is a message, writes the new hex.

First of all, is there any mistake (or mistakes probably) on the summary?

Secondly, i want to use the usb bootlader. I upload the ccs example code(i dont share it because of forum rules) but after that there is no communication. After usb communication the computer does not play usb voice and i cant see the hardware on device manager.

I checked about usb communication with a basic getc and putc function. I can send and see the chars via putty.

Any ideas about what am i doing wrong?
temtronic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 am     Reply with quote

What version of Windows ? What other programs are running ?
What program did you download into the PIC ?
If the PIC program doesn't talk to the PC often, Windows will 'close' the USB port.
One of the bad things about USB is that it is NOT an interrupt driven serial port which the original comports were. It's 'polled' so whatever is attached to the PC USB HAS to access the PC on a regular basis to keep the USB comport 'open' or 'active'.
Jay
doguhanpala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 am     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
what version of Windows/ What other programs are running.
What program did you download into the PIC ?
If the PIC program doesn't talk to the PC often, Windows will 'close' the USB port.
One of the bad things about USB is that it is NOT an interrupt driven serial port which the original comports were. It's 'polled' so whateve ris attacjed to the PC USB HAS to access the PC on a regular basis to keep the USB comport 'open' or 'active'.
Jay

Hello Jay,

I use Windows 10. For uploading new hex, i tried picpgmboot and ccsbotloader.exe. When i checked device manager for usb ports, none of them was working though.

I downloaded the ex_usb_bootloader (i did not change anything).

About polling, even if i manage to connect once, i should send a data to usb port to keep it open if i am not mistaken.

Thank you for your answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: