CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB stack issue with Sierra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sseidman

USB stack issue with Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

I made a simple USB game controller with an 18F4550 in 2011, which has worked just dandily using ccs's USB.c. It's worked robustly in windows and in macs since it was built.

All of a sudden, with the newest OSX version, Sierra, it failed, resolving as a mouse instead of a USB controller. I recompiled with the newest version of the compiler I have, 5.016, with the date on USB.c from Feb 2013. It, too, fails miserably on Sierra. Doesn't seem to enumerate, takes away keyboard control, and a window pops up repeatedly in the corner. I can't be descriptive here, as I'm not a mac user, but suffice it to say, "it fails". Still works fine under Capitan, though.

I think my next action is to update my license, get the newest USB stack, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try CCS support. Thought I'd post here, though, in case anyone knows about this, or can at least tell me if I'm using the latest USB.c. Other advice is welcome!!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:32 am     Reply with quote

It'll be down to the VID/PID.
It sounds as if the combination you used, now has been recorded as a mouse device, and a driver for this combination has been added to Sierra.
Who's VID did you use?. Your own?.
sseidman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
It'll be down to the VID/PID.
It sounds as if the combination you used, now has been recorded as a mouse device, and a driver for this combination has been added to Sierra.
Who's VID did you use?. Your own?.

Sub license off CCS, which they still have registered correctly.

The last failure, though, was a lot more dramatic than id-ing as a mouse. Never even got to a point where I can check the enumeration.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Are you sure?.
The older compilers for some devices used a Microchip ID, which was not CCS's. On the compilers for about the last year, this has been changed to one that is now CCS's. Older code using the former VID will no longer work on many newer OS's.

Test the ID with:
<http://www.the-sz.com/products/usbid/>
ezflyr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently had a similar problem with a USB bootloader first built a few years ago based on the provided CCS examples. After I made a few changes, and recompiled, it wouldn't work any longer (Windows 7 OS). I recompiled everything 'from the ground up' using the latest compiler, example files and includes, and the CCS USB bootloader started working again like a champ!

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in real hardware!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Yes. If you look at the files containing the VID, you will find they have changed with the newer compiler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: