CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

NOPUT risky?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxo

NOPUT risky?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Is there any risk in using no power up timer?

This is on an 18F26K22 with no timing sensitive things on power-up.
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Is the application very strictly dependent on a very short power up to run delay? If not, in my opinion it's honestly not worth the risk of omitting the power up timer.
asmboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 am     Reply with quote

agreed - if you can stand having all your I/O as inputs for that time slice PUT protects against slow rising power and i would ALWAYS use that fuse
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:57 am     Reply with quote

agreed.. I've always used PUT, 2 decades now. ANYTHING to get the PIC safely 'organised' is a good thing. I also use a 500ms delay before running an LCD_init().

BTW hardware should be designed for 'powerup mode' so that the
device' doesn't do anything 'bad'.

Jay
asmboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 am     Reply with quote

careful designers use appropriate pull up or pull down resistors to prevent accidental or unintended I/O pin states DURING power up too.

A critical design failure along those lines can make smoke and ruin in certain high power circuits.
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Another potential issue that just hit me: the project may work on your bench but fails at extremes of temperature (especially low).

I once had a field support call (regarding a non-Microchip processor) where at very low ambient temperatures, first thing in the morning, the product was losing its config data (stored in an external EEPROM). I had inherited this product and, as I found out, there wasn't a power-up delay between when the processor started to run and when it tried to access the EEPROM. At very low temperatures the EEPROM wouldn't "boot" as fast as the processor - and would read back 0xff until it was properly configured. The processor would interpret that as "config hasn't been set", which triggered a later write of default config values, which the EEPROM would then accept. I inserted a 100ms delay between processor boot and subsequent accesses to the external EEPROM and the problem went away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: