CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

problem about putting value in int or float or other variabl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noman yousaf

problem about putting value in int or float or other variabl
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 am     Reply with quote

hi
when i put the value 0x7543 in an "int16", in RAM that is shown as it is. But
when i put 0x7543 in float, it gives another 32 bit value in RAM which is "866A8D"

what does it mean?
and i want to calculate trigonometry like
cos45*sin90... etc. (in degrees)
how can i do it ?
urgent help is needed
RF_Developer

Re: problem about putting value in int or float or other var
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:47 am     Reply with quote

noman yousaf wrote:

when i put the value 0x7543 in an "int16", in RAM that is shown as it is. But
when i put 0x7543 in float, it gives an other 32 bit value in RAM which is "866A8D"

Now, as you know, data in memory can represent many things. What it appears as to the outside world is down to how it is interpreted and formatted. Your value, 0x7543, is a sixteen bit value in hexadecimal format. This is what it would be in various other formats, using the various C formats:

Hex: 0x7543
Decimal: 30019
Binary 0b0111010101000011
ASCII characters: 'u+'

These are all the same thing in RAM. All that's changed is how that data is interpreted/formatted.

If you assign 0x7543 to a float, you'll get the floating point representation of the decimal value 30019. It will NOT look anything like 0x7543, nor 30019 if you look at the bytes. I don't know, nor particularly care exactly what you'll see, partly as most CCS C doesn't use IEEE754 float, it uses a modified form. But for the record 30019 is apparently 0x46EA8600 in IEEE754 32 bit float format.

C has several format specifiers for numeric literals (constants). These are simple once you get the idea. They are basic stuff. Look them up in any C textbook.

trigonometry in C is possible, but it's not ideal on PICs. It will be very slow, and double precision floats (float64) are not available on in CCS C on many PICs. In any case, most languages' trig routines, C's included, don't take values in degrees, they use radians. So conversion to and from radians is often needed. That said, CCS C's trig routines work perfectly well (that's not "work perfectly", by the way!) given the limitations of 32 bit floats.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Also see this post:
https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63690
And get the floatconv10 utility program in the link.
When you use it, select Microchip 32-bit format.
noman yousaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:48 am     Reply with quote

thanks to all.
i used the float because in this, decimal point. my actual problem is to solve

(23.45)*SIN(RADIANS((360/365)*(90-81)))

and i need result in decimal number.
how can i do that ?
please help
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Code:
(23.45)*SIN(RADIANS((360/365)*(90-81)))

Do you realize that with no variables in the expression - this resolves to a CONSTANT and would be calculated at compile time-- based on what you assign it TO.

or are you looking for THIS easy to rearrange identity :?

Code:
degrees = radians*180/PI;

as to "how would i do it" i'd use an engineering calculator and find that constant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

BTW

the best (closest fit) for 'integer PI' is

355/113

one of those silly facts of life I remember

Jay
noman yousaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

Actually it was just an example equation. There is a variable in this equation but i put value of that. I just wanted to ask that can i solve these types of equations by C in CCS?
Secondly i want the result in decimal, can someone just send the complete code to convert result in decimal (like to convert 0xffff in 65353)?
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:56 am     Reply with quote

noman yousaf wrote:
I just wanted to ask that can i solve these types of equations by C in CCS?

Yes, you can. It's fairly easy.

Quote:

Secondly i want the result in decimal, can someone just send the complete code to convert result in decimal (like to convert 0xffff in 65353)?

I suspected, and even more now suspect that you don't understand the basic idea here. 0xFFFF IS 65535 (by the way!) AND -1 and a whole load of other things. They are all just representations of the same data pattern. If you're asking how you might produce code that formats a value in hex, or decimal (which the C printf routine does for you, so doing it yourself tends to indicate its a student learning exercise rather than an actual programming task) then you are in the wrong place.

What CCS C code have you already written? So far, there's no indication that you are even working in C - you've not presented to us anything that looks like C, let alone CCS C. You are still struggling with basic programming concepts. We are not really able to teach you how to program. We are here to help others to program using CCS C on PIC microcontrollers. We certainly do not provide complete, running code, gift wrapped with a bow for students.

What is you real requirement? Why are you asking about this basic stuff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: