CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Computer change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

Computer change
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:41 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

My PC is EOL... its a Windows 7 machine.
I currently own PCH and PCM... bought circa 2010ish.

Do i need to buy the compilers again?
Can I reinstall them and would they run in Windows 10?

I would be willing to pay for a maintenance package though.

G.

+++ my use of "Windoes" (now mysteriously spell checked) was on purpose, it was meant as a bad reference to "Doge" humor+++

Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:47 am     Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any problems......hopefully.....this from a guy who still uses WIN98 AND XP PCs for the engineering computers! They ain't broke AND the WIN98 machine does things NO newer PC/OS can do.

Obviously KEEP your 'old' PC, install CCS on the new one,and test,retest and test again to be SURE it's properly 'up and running'.

Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 am     Reply with quote

The only thing that would give problems is if you want to run USB.

The later compilers come with later drivers including support for W10.

The compilers themselves should install and run OK on W10.
The very early compilers

If you pay for an update, you will get the latest compiler.

The very earliest compilers won't install, but you have to be talking perhaps ten or more years ago.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Not sure with windows 10, but a little trap door I fell through in Win 7 involves a security thing. If you install the compiler from a CD then try to copy your license file directly from the CD to the install directory, you will find it doesn't work. Turns out with win 7 security, if you drag it direct from a CD (or an email if I remember correctly), it is considered a security risk and windows puts it in the "virtual store" under your account instead of where you think you put it in the install directory (and doesn't bother to tell you it did that). If you copy the license file to your desktop and then copy it to the install directory, seems to me that worked the problem. I went around with CCS for a bit trying to figure out why my license was not working - they even sent me new license files which also didn't work (I thought) until we tumbled to the "virtual store" think. I have forgotten all the exact details, but that is the basics of what happened. Just something to be aware of.
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 am     Reply with quote

I have several Dell D630's i use for development with XP and great joy. the sweet part is that there is still a fine rs232 port in it as well as 4 USBs etc.
my favorite DOS editing program runs perfectly on it.
one convenient trick is having many spare identical internal SATA drives and a simple sata drive duplicator -which i have used to perfectly clone my "master" devel pc .....
best part is you can still get the D630 on ebay for under $50 ........

in many ways win 7 beats XP but for devel it suks
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Asmboy... your exact setup has crossed my mind several times.

To all others, thanks for clearing things up.

I currently own 4.135 and 5.012 ... so i should expect some sort of USB issues...maybe... however the issues are resolved by maintenance package.

Provided i have my original licence and install files y can install it on my new PC, right?

which leads to the obvious: "how do they know that the licence is not being used across multiple computers?" ... illegaly.

G.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

which leads to the obvious: "how do they know that the license is not being used across multiple computers?" ... illegally.

They don't, least I have no idea HOW they could tell...
I'm a firm believer that I should be able to store multiple copies of SW on all sorts of media unless 'they' want to accept the liability of a power failure trashing the HD and me losing 25 years of code !

Now the 'tax program' guys they force you to do an online register so they KNOW what PC MB and HD and ??? you're using. Bad thing is if you upgrade the HD, their program will NOT work...which is a real PITA to call and correct.

For my eng setup I have 2 PCs running through one of those KVM 'switches'. That way I can compile on one, test on the other.Got burned bad once using THE eng PC for testing....

Jay
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
which leads to the obvious: "how do they know that the license is not being used across multiple computers?" ... illegally.

The CCS license agreement says this is OK:
Quote:

1. LICENSE - CCS grants Licensee a license to use in one of the two following options:
1) Software may be used solely by single-user on multiple computer systems;
2) Software may be installed on single-computer system for use by multiple users. Use of Software
by additional users or on a network requires payment of additional fees.

https://www.ccsinfo.com/pdfs/SoftwareLicenseAgreement.pdf

Which means I can install one compiler on my home system, work system
and laptop, etc.
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

i am going by the single user concept. it is only me and i would not share such a cloned copy. I'm a software developer too. After all CCS has been decent enough to avoid the misery of Dongles and such ( read PADS etc here ) and i keep my part of the bargain with timely support renewal payments.
but i have clones of my system at home, my camp and at my main work site.
nobody but me uses it ( or even knows how to be honest )
jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I really appreciate how CCS does their licensing. We maintain 15 licenses with renewals every year. Their method makes management of all those licenses very straightforward and easy to use. They probably realize that strict DRM hurts their customer base. It is one of the reasons I switched from Hitech to CCS. Hitech's licensing was too cumbersome in an engineering environment.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:14 pm     Reply with quote

Eagle cad decided with the new version 7 to implement the licensing routine like others have where it has to go through fancy activation, have a license server and a number of other things (they changed management was what inspired this). There was such an uproar from the community that they reversed the whole thing and went back to a more reasonable license they had been using for years. Yes piracy is a big problem, but you really don't want to irritate your regular paying customers either. (Eagle is the software that many people use for circuit design and board layout). Fortunately, in Eagle's case, cooler heads prevailed and they backed off.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:41 am     Reply with quote

Yes.
Key thing in many cases is to realise that the most strict licensing, can still be broken. In many cases 'extreme' licensing, just leads to people deliberately going out of their way to break it, and annoys customers....
So, 'nothing gained'.
CCS's approach has always been very pleasant. Smile
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 am     Reply with quote

That's awesome.

I'm going to get 2 identical PC's... one for work one for home....and that way i don't have to haul back and forth.... less strain on either and hardware back up at the same time.

I'm glad i asked.

G.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: