CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Loader fun!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan

Loader fun!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm struggling with a loader issue on PIC16LF1519. I've updated my CCS compiler just today (Version 5.048)

Because my application communicates using a GSM modem, I decided not to have a bootloader, but to simply jump into the loader (located at the end of ROM) from the main program as required. I stop global interrupts and watchdog first, then call load_program() using the CCS example loader.c which has worked for me in the past.

The only change I have made to loader.c is to add my #use rs232 line after the #org, to ensure the loader it has it's own copy. I also increased the loader size to 0x3ff to allow for that.

I get the ACK and XON/XOFF responses after every line, so it's not crashing.

Anyway, after loading, the chip is dead, even if I load a very small "hello world" program. The MPLAB tools aren't very useful in comparing the memory but certainly I can see changes after loading.

Is there anything anyone can think of that I might be doing wrong? Any advice or ideas to debug this would be appreciated.
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

did this setup work before you upgraded the compiler ?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
even if I load a very small "hello world" program

What if you load a very small blinking LED in while() loop program ?
If it works, that would tell you if the problem is UART related.
evan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

Temtronic, no, that's why I upgraded (after reading some comments here about flash write problems with the version I had!)

PCM programmer: the small test program .hex works fine if I load it using Pickit directly.

I've just done a little more debugging. It seems that the first line of the hex file gets written, and the rest not (despite being ACKed).

When I look closer, it seems that this line of loader.c
// Only process data blocks that start with ':'
if (rBuffer[0].buffer[0] == ':')

is seeing 0x0A (LF) in the first byte of the buffer, instead of ':' !

What on earth is going on?
I am using Realterm to send (with serial cable from PC). I've used that before with the CCS loader many times without problems.

Puzzled.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like the common Microsoft versus 'rest of the world' convention on line endings. Microsoft uses CR/LF, rest of the world uses CR only.

Just a guess, but I see two potential problem causes:
1) In many terminal emulator programs you can configure how a newline is sent, i.e. as a bare CR or as CR/LF. Try setting to the first option.
2) Perhaps the hex-file contains lines ending with CR/LF where the loader expects CR only.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:32 am     Reply with quote

ckielstra wrote:
Sounds like the common Microsoft versus 'rest of the world' convention on line endings. Microsoft uses CR/LF, rest of the world uses CR only.

Can't really lay this one at Microsoft's door, unfortunately. It's more like the Unix vs. Rest of the World. Unix, and related variants, uses LF, pretty much everything else, including stuff way before Microsoft, uses CR/LF.

No systems that I know of ever used LF/CR (though I still have to fix PIC code written by someone, err, some pratt that did... and they used it at the start of a new line rather than as a terminator of an old one, which causes confusion and delays), it was always CR/LF (the reason often quoted being that in the mechnical days, it took longer for the printhead/carriage to go back to the start of a line than it took to wind the paper on a line, so you had to do the CR - Carriage Return - first, to get that going, then the LF - Line Feed. By the time the LF was done, the printhead was positioned ready to start the new line) Unix went its own way be having just a line feed, leaving it up to the peripheral to interpret that as it needed to. I've never seen any system that just used CR as an end of line/terminator; though they might have existed.

The key to interpreting it is to treat CR as white space - padding at the end of a line, if its used at all - and just look for LF. That way both Unix-style (LF only) and everyone else's style (CR/LF) work much the same way. IBM, of course, being IBM, historically, didn't use ASCII at all.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 am     Reply with quote

I had a 'FORTH' system that used LF/CR not the 'MS standard' of CR/LF.
That caused me some grief until I finally saw what was going on with a hex dump ! easy enough to fix ONCE you actually see the data stream.

Bottom line.. don't take anything at face value !

Jay
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
The key to interpreting it is to treat CR as white space - padding at the end of a line, if its used at all - and just look for LF. That way both Unix-style (LF only) and everyone else's style (CR/LF) work much the same way.
That would have been the smart way. Not how CCS is doing it. I haven't tried the file sending feature of Siow, but it looks like we have here one of those rare cases where CR is used without LF.

Here a small part of loader.c
Code:
   while (!done)  // Loop until the entire program is downloaded
   {
      buffidx = 0;  // Read into the buffer until 0x0D ('\r') is received or the buffer is full
      do {
         buffer[buffidx] = getc();
      } while ( (buffer[buffidx++] != 0x0D) && (buffidx <= BUFFER_LEN_LOD) );
The lines are read until a 0x0D (CR) is encountered. When a LF is following it will be treated as first byte of the new line. Exactly what Evan is experiencing.

Of course you are free to modify loader.c to suit whatever your needs are. Here a modified version (untested) that accepts both CR and CR/LF line endings. If it is true that Siow only sends LF, then this version fails.
Code:
   while (!done)  // Loop until the entire program is downloaded
   {
      int8 temp;
      buffidx = 0;  // Read into the buffer until 0x0A ('\n') is received or the buffer is full
      do {
         temp = getc();
         if (temp != 0x0D)  // ignore CR character (0x0D), will make the bootloader accept Windows and Linux style line endings.
         {
             buffer[buffidx++] = temp;
         }
      } while ( (temp != 0x0A) && (buffidx <= BUFFER_LEN_LOD) );
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

just a tip..

IF ( when ) you do modify loader.c be sure to name YOUR version as my_loader.c. Nothing is more frustrating than destroying the ORIGINAL version of working code ! Don't ask how I KNOW that, please.....

Jay
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

After much research, we have discovered that is called HIFD - Hole In Foot Disease. Steel toed boots don't seem to help prevent it (based on my experience). Very Happy

mikey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: