CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ADC and built in Vref and Input Levels at AN0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soonc

ADC and built in Vref and Input Levels at AN0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

I'm looking at the PIC18(L)F67K22 and am confused about how to use the ADC, Vref. and Analog Input levels.

Assuming the chip will not use the internal Regulator and be powered from a Lithium battery at approx. 3.2V so the Vdd will be the same as Vbat.

I need to monitor the Vdd and expect to use the built in Vref. to ensure I can actually get a real reading of it's level.

As Vdd is the Lithium Battery potential I assume I should use the Vref at 2.048V because the 4.096Vref is not possible (or is it ?) with only 3.2V for VDD.

If I apply the Vdd directly to Pin AN0 to measure Vdd the level will be above the Vref. level so what happens to the conversion ?

Should I put a potential divider on the input of AN0 to ensure the Maximum voltage does not exceed the Vref. 2.048V with a fresh Lithium cell ?

I looked at the data sheet but the subject does not seem to be clear to me some help would be very welcome.

Thanks
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Your best bet is to use the 'reverse' approach.
One ADC option is to directly read the internal 1.024 reference as an input to the ADC. Run the ADC Vref off the supply, read the voltage from the Vref input. Then if (for instance) it reads 1271, the actual supply voltage is (1.024/1271)*4096= 3.31v. Use this value then for any supply voltage testing, and as the voltage for any other readings made with the ADC.

Big advantage, no potential divider (yes, you would need one, and it's impedance would have to be low enough for use as an ADC input - result significant current - 2.5KR minimum impedance....). Also your ADC then has a large enough voltage range (it requires 3v _minimum_ to work properly/accurately...). The 2.048 Vref options, basically is pointless, and 'yes' you need more supply voltage to use the 4.096v option...

An analog input can never go more than one diode drop 'above' the Vref voltage. If it does, it first draws the Vref upwards, and then risks damage.
soonc

works great
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you Ttelmah,
Works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: