CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

External EEPROM and datalogger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
respected

External EEPROM and datalogger
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hi everybody;
I want to create datalogger with external EEprom. But i need how is write eeprom repeatedly.

For example i have 100 bytes eeprom. First record 40 bytes, second record 40 bytes and third record 30 bytes. In this case i have to erase first record 10 bytes.

How should I write a formula?

Code:

first adress    first record
0                      40
second adress  second record
40                    40
third adress      third record
80                   30  (overflow)

Thanks
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

You have two problems with your scheme - the first, you need to keep track of where the next record to write is going to go. The second is with your storage. You can't simply "erase" 10 bytes from the first record so you are under 100 used. How would you link the first part of the third record to the chunk that has to be written into the first 10 bytes you erased? It is possible to erase some data and move the rest forward, but that results in needless time and wear and tear on the eeprom (they are only rated for a certain number of write cycles - you don't indicate how often you would be writing to the eeprom. You would be better off seeing if you could pack the data so you could put your 3 records or whatever in the memory. The other question I see is you refer to a "datalogger" - typically, 3 records is not going to be anywhere near enough for any datalogger type application. For any amount of memory though, you need to have a method to determine where the next record is going to be stored (and storing that pointer that gets changed each time you write to eeprom in a single eeprom location is not a good idea due to the number of rated write cycles (see the data sheet for your chosen PIC processor).

mikey
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:17 am     Reply with quote

He says 'external EEPROM', so needs to looks at it's data sheet.

However I'd say 'look at FRAM'. Faster, and doesn't have a write life (infinite!...).
Be logical, and consider using (say) a 64 byte record for everything. Much simpler, also allows for expansion.
respected

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Ttelmah, but i have circuit with external eeprom. It has 64Kbytes memory. I got example (100 bytes). I want to learn how is write repeatedly. I think I use 50 times recording.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:05 am     Reply with quote

There are FRAM's that are pin compatible for many EEPROM's.

Thing is that EEPROM both has limited life, and is _slow_.

As gpsmikey says you need to keep track of where you are working, and if you store this in the EEPROM, then the cells holding this become used much more... :(

If you use a 64byte cell, then assuming your EEPROM is one that erases to 0xFF in the cell (most normal chips), use this as the flag to say 'cell empty'. So you have the first word (not part of your record, as 0xFFFF saying 'not used'. Then you can look through the EEPROM, just looking at every 64th word, and if this is 0xFFFF then this is a record available for use. Use values below this as a 'record number'. So when you write the record, change this to 0000 for the first record, then 0001 for the next etc.. Use the next byte as a 'type' marker, to say whether this is a 40byte #1 record, 40byte #2 record, or 30byte record.
So have a structure as (say):
Code:

struct {
    unsigned int16 record_number; //65535 = empty
    int8 type; 0,1,2 = your three record types
    int8 dummy; //use as required - remember PIC24/32 likes 16bit alignment
    unsigned int32 time_stamp; //work out a way of coding time in this
    char data[56]; //area to store your actual data
} record;

Now assuming the EEPROM is not larger than 2097152 bytes, when you boot, look through the chip for the highest record number less than 65536. The record after this with 0xFFFF, is the next place to write.
You just write whatever record you want to the next block, with the next record number. Keep going till you have to loop back to the start. When you do, erase one block of the EEPROM, and carry on from the beginning. Each time you find the next record to write does not have the 0xFFFF marker you should be on an EEPROM page boundary (EEPROM's use erase pages that are binary in size, so 1024 bytes etc..), and can just erase the next page.
You'll have to 'wrap' the record number at 32768.
Put your actual data to write into the array 'record.data', and set the flag 'type' according to how big the actual record is. This way you know what 'type' of record this is when reading.
respected

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks again Ttelmah;

I found different solution. I used internal eeprom. I encoded start time after that i wrote internal eeprom.
I sorted for encoded data (starting time, index number, record count, record address).
I erased the oldest data.

p.s: encoded data is recorded internal eeprom.
temp data is recorded external eeprom.

I think it will be good idea for me.

Thanks a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: