CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to use bootloader in Mac OSX?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imanjl

How to use bootloader in Mac OSX?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

Problem :
I can use SIOW for uploading *.hex to MCU but my customer with computer running OSX is not able to this.

I'm looking for a free App or a simple way in OSX which simulates the SIOW.exe, allows me to set baud rate and Xon/Xoff handshaking. This app must be able to send a file (*.hex) via virtual com port.

I wonder why no one requested it while OSX is pretty common these days. except in this post :

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49854&highlight=mac

There is a built in Terminal.app in OSX, that seems to open serial port with screen command but you should write commands inside that is awful for end users. I'm not sure it can upload file or not.

Any idea ?
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

I was under the impression that MACs could emulate/run PC software these days ??
If not someone MUST have written some 'serial port' software for a MAC though as you've found out it's gotta be rare.
Best bet...try googling for it, talk to mac groups...

or

buy a $50 tablet that's PC based....(sorry,but that's the way it is !)

hth
jay
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

got bored, googled....5 seconds later..

found 'minicom', it _should" work for you...as it does allow you to send files,has handshaking, etc.

Though I have 2 MACs in the basement I can't try it out(too dusty)....best you download the program and see if it works.

hth
jay
Imanjl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 am     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
I was under the impression that MACs could emulate/run PC software these days ??

MACs are Intel-based for several years, It is possible to install Windows on it and have two OS in parallel. But not a straitforward solution, wastes your time, hdd space , money ... .

temtronic wrote:

If not someone MUST have written some 'serial port' software for a MAC though as you've found out it's gotta be rare.

There are several 'serial port' software for mac : Zterm, CoolTerm, goSerial, ZOC, iTerm, ... Most of them are not written for this purpose, expensive and may not respond well to "EX_PCD_Bootloader". I also had no luck in successful transmitting of a hex file via most of the windows based software, only SIOW and TeraTerm works for me.

I'm looking for a tested method without any hassle. It will be good to share it here, which will be useful for other members too.

temtronic wrote:

found 'minicom', it _should" work for you...as it does allow you to send files,has handshaking, etc.

I should test and report it back. There is also a promising freeware called CuteCom, that I did not test it yet :
stinky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure if all versions implement this, but I'm on 10.9 and it has it's own serial terminal. http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/32834/is-there-an-os-x-terminal-program-that-can-access-serial-ports

Use the Terminal app. Launch "screen" with the appropriate arguments and boom. I've installed some of the FTDI drivers as well so i can use the USB to RS232 cables that are cheap.

[edit] Should have read everything. I've not used this for bootloader transfer. Simply serial debugging. Not sure if it offers OP's desired functionality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: