CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Programming 12f1501 and CCS U-64?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsmikey

Programming 12f1501 and CCS U-64?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Various little projects that look perfect for the 12F1501, but I wanted to check with those that have used that chip (Ttelmah liked it in an earlier post for 8 bit thingies). The Pickit2 does NOT support it (which is what I have used in the past for stuff). I do have the U-64, but have not used it yet - is that a good choice for programming that little guy? Is there a better choice? From looking at the data sheet, it looks like you just configure it with ICSP clock (normally B6) going to RA1 (pin 6 of dip), ICSP Data going to RA0 (pin 7 on dip) and the others as listed in the U-64 FAQ (pwr,gnd,mclr) with NC for the debugging pin. Is that correct ? Comments on better way to go? Trap doors to be aware of ? I have 4.135 installed and a newer 5.x, but not the latest - need to renew support for that when I can get it past the budget director (also known as "the wife")

Thanks
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the PicKit2, is now considered 'end of life', and Microchip have decided not to add new devices to it's support...

However (not tried):

<https://sites.google.com/site/pk2devicefileeditor/>

and

<http://www.auelectronics.com/forum/index.php?topic=413.0>

Best Wishes.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Ttelmah - downloaded the pk2 file they listed that does include that chip. What do you use for your programming of that chip since you indicated you liked it back in http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51047

(it is important to have an assortment of hammers in your toolbox Very Happy )

mikey
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:40 am     Reply with quote

I have a commercial 8 gang programmer, and a couple of ICD/ICSP setups, plus a couple of Mach-X's for the odd 'single chip'.

I like these as a really basic chip, to do lots of little 'glue' jobs, that perhaps a few years ago, would have used the 508. I tend to have four PIC12's in my 'box' at present:
PIC12F1501 - simple, cheap, has few bugs.
PIC12LF1552 - 3.3v, still 90% of the things I connect to are 5v. However has I2C, CSM etc.
PIC12F1572 - key adds a UART.
All of the above are relatively 'bug free', and cheap.

PIC12F1840 - more expensive, but adds all the peripherals, and faster operation. Avoid the 1822, lots of errata...

The silly thing is that PIC's like these, can do really basic jobs like being a monostable multivibrator, for less money than the simple CMOS chip (when you remember that to get any accuracy, you have to add a high stab capacitor to the latter...).

Best Wishes
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Ttelmah !! Good info for my toolbox. I remember when the 555 was the answer to everything, now these little guys are much better for those sorts of tasks and less expensive as well like you say.

[EDIT] interesting little chip ( 12f1572 ) although Digikey doesn't even show it listed and Mouser shows it, but indicates no stock, new part and at least 10 weeks to get any. Definitely keep it in mind for future stuff though (I like the uart in it )

mikey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: