CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Does UART have error correction?[SOLVED]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulurumbuluruciu

Does UART have error correction?[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Hello, I have the folowing question/problem. I'm communicating with 2 18F PICs ( each to another) via UART. The communication is going just fine. But when I put the computer between them (com-to-com software) to analyze the data, the communcation fails. Now i tested the PC application and configure it properly dozen of times and tested with a external laptop and the com-to-com application is appearing to run ok. Does the microcontroller UART has error detection/correction that the FTDI cables don't?

Last edited by pulurumbuluruciu on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

comment: We need a lot more information about how you've got everything connected and what software you're using.
Since you said everything is fine with PIC to PIC communications, it's only when you add the PC that data gets corrupted.
Hardware question. Do both PICs have max232 type chips or direct pin to pin I/O? I'll assume your PC is USB based and not REAL RS232 based comports ? If so are the PIC to USB modules TTL<>USB or RS232<>USB types?
What PIC programs are running ? Are you using the UART or a software UART? Are you using putc() or an ISR with buffering(ie: ex_sisr.c).Posting programs will help.
What PC software and configuration? What hardware to access the PICs.

I've use the PIC18F46K22 for a couple of years at 115K200 baud, both hardware UARTS and do not have any 'bad data' problems.That's why we need to see more details of your setup.

hth
jay
pulurumbuluruciu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

Problem solved. The problem was FTDI latency time option. Once I set that to 1ms in the FTDI driver ( Default 16) it worked as it should. Hope to help someone today. Thank you Temtronic for your input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: