CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

23A1024 SRAM help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neochrome32

23A1024 SRAM help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:29 am     Reply with quote

CCS: 4.130;
i haven't started the code yet, but looking to see if anyone has already done a SPI RAM project> (im wishing really to skip over this headache for time constraint)
if anyone has done this, and in QUAD mode?

link to data sheet:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/25142A.pdf

if this isn't done before, i'll do the best i can to make one working and post the code Smile
bkamen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

before diving in:

Ask yourself this question:

1: What would be the benefit of the QSPI mode?
2: How would you implement that in hardware for the best performance gains? (answer: you wouldn't. There is no QSPI module on any PIC I've seen yet.)
3: Now that you know you'd have to do the QSPI in software, would the speed of QSPI still exist at software bit-banged speeds? (no)
4: Rewind back to #1.

Embarassed

Honestly, if you stick with regular SPI, you'll get hardware modules doing the job as fast as it can be done PLUS there's a lot of pre-written drivers in CCS's included library with the compiler.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Thats what i thought too...

im planning on using the 46k22 which has a bit of speed behind it, but been looking over the datasheets, i wont know yet as the MCU is still using software SPI; the hardware is used on the SDCARD side, with only SDI mode, i dont mind the lack of speed but having 4bit would still improve stuff.

think im just gonna have to build a prototype to test with i think

[edit]
i couldn't find the pre-written stuff for spi/sqi mode for this SRAM! lol
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Thing is that generally, the limitation is how fast the PIC can move data, not the speed of SPI. Even using table read instructions, just loading a byte, transferring it to the SPI register, looping & counting, takes more time than the single bit SPI takes to transfer the byte at the maximum clock rate....

Best Wishes
neochrome32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

i have a total grasp of cycles needed to do each instruction, I'm aware of the limitations and i know i cant hope to reach the 100% speed capacity,

just needed to know if there was ready made code for 4bit sram, read..

to be honest its looking like,

converting 4nibbles to 1byte is gonna take about the same amount of cycles as just shifting bits into a 8bit buffer! lol

i still cant find any source code for the 23A1024 (1mbit) = 128kByte (just like my spectrum +2 Smile

Last edited by neochrome32 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

CCS has a driver for a smaller SRAM (32KB instead of 128KB) here:
Quote:
c:\program files\picc\drivers\23k256.c

To modify that driver, the address field would have to be made larger.
There may be some other differences. This is a normal SPI driver, not
quad mode.

Here is a forum thread where they seem to go over it 1 million times,
how to write the 3 bytes of a 24-bit address for the 23LC1024:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49062
neochrome32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

-_- are you kidding me! Mad i cant believe i missed that!!
sorry!!
neochrome32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

And Thank you Smile
ckielstra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

neochrome32 wrote:
-_- are you kidding me! Mad i cant believe i missed that!!
sorry!!
Looks like you were searching for the wrong part number, 24L1024 instead of the correct 24LC1024...
Searching this forum for the latter gives 4 hits.

When you are going to use code from benoitstjean as posted in the topic referenced above, then I suggest you also read
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48991
There were some errors in the original code that he had to fix later.
Remember: CCS has two sets of SPI commands 'setup_spi()' and '#use spi'. NEVER mix these.

About the 4-bit SPI bus: this should be easy to implement, but as you said you are in a hurry, then it is better to stick to tested code.
Speed gain for 4-bit SPI will be minimal when compared to the 1-bit hardware SPI module. This because the hardware SPI will continue working in the background while you can store the just read value into memory. For 4-bit SPI there is no background processing.
My guess is 1-bit SPI can be done in 8 cycles per byte on a PIC18, the time to clock in a new byte.
An optimized 4-bit SPI can do it in 6 cycles, but this requires great care or it will become slower than the 1-bit SPI.
Note that the standard CCS functions for SPI communication are blocking. No background SPI operations possible. If you want to achieve this speed gain than use Ttelmah's SPI macros as found in many places in this forum. Search for 'WAIT_FOR_SSP', for example found here: https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30400
neochrome32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:49 am     Reply with quote

24LC1024 - is EEPROM

23A1024 is SRAM (which i need) so part is correct, i dont need ROM tho Smile
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:29 am     Reply with quote

It is the overlapping of the I/O available with the hardware SPI, that is the critical point. Assuming that you actually will have something like a data counter, the time taken to do this, takes the minimum 6 cycles needed to send a byte by sending a nibble, clocking this, then using the swap instruction to get the other nibble, and clock this, to more than 8 cycles. By which time the hardware SPI has already sent the data.
The interface format between the 23LC1024, and the 24LC1024, is designed to be basically the same. One is EEPROM, the other SRAM. Difference is that you don't have to wait for the write on the SRAM, but the actual interfacing (in SPI mode) is identical.
As Ckielstra says, the key for performance is to use the hardware SPI, and bypass the CCS functions (I have always felt it is a pity they don't have a settable flag, or an extra parameter like the read_adc function - so you could specify to return immediately).
The real pity is that a memory like this is ideal for use with addressmod, to give a fast large RAM data space. However compilers with working addressmod versions seem to be getting rarer and rarer...

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: