CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

shift PWM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceMetal

shift PWM
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

Hi I'm still having trouble adjusting this PWM
how can I shift one of the PWM 200us

Code:
#include <18F4431.h>
#fuses HS,NOWDT,PUT,BROWNOUT,NOLVP
#use delay(clock=20M)

#define POWER_PWM_PERIOD 2000  // 1 KHz pwm freq with 8 MHz osc.

void main()
{
int8 value_adc;
float new_duty_fil;

setup_adc_ports(sAN0);
setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16);
set_adc_channel(0);

//setup_power_pwm_pins(PWM_ODD_ON, PWM_ODD_ON, PWM_ODD_ON,PWM_ODD_ON);
   setup_power_pwm_pins(PWM_COMPLEMENTARY,PWM_COMPLEMENTARY,PWM_OFF,PWM_OFF);
   setup_power_pwm(PWM_FREE_RUN | PWM_CLOCK_DIV_4, 1, 1, POWER_PWM_PERIOD-1, 0, 1, 0);

while(1)
   {
      value_adc = read_adc(); //gives us an 8 bit value
      new_duty_fil = value_adc * 0.005;

set_power_pwm0_duty((int16)(POWER_PWM_PERIOD * new_duty_fil));
      set_power_pwm2_duty((int16)(POWER_PWM_PERIOD * new_duty_fil));
   }
}
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 am     Reply with quote

You can't.....
Different chip needed.

You could possibly get close, using the complementary outputs from one generator, and then adjusting the dead-time to move the second pulse where you want it to be, but all the PWM's, on this generator, run from a a single timer, so for the separate channels, the rising edges align (or the centres if you switch to up/down counting).

You are using slightly the wrong tool for the job...

Any standard chip with two PWM's could generate what you want. Just program them to use the different timers (90+% of chips allow two timers to be used), Start one timer, wait 200uSec, and start the other. Then adjust the pulse widths as required.
You have got the two PWM's to do this, using the CCP1/CCP2 pins, but this chip doesn't allow a second timer to be used.

To do it with dead-band, you'd need to set the set the dead-band on the first channel to zero, then set this channel's pulse width, and set the dead-band to 2000-this width, then set the second channel's width.

As a comment, slow down the update rate a little, and see if you can avoid fp maths. You also potentially overflow the pulse width (adc = 0 to 255)/200 *2000.... Remember integer multiplications/divisions by multiples of two are quick, so 'scale'. Your current code gives 0 to 2550, for much less work, just use adc*8, in int16, which will take perhaps 1/10th the code space, and only overflow right at the top of the adc...

Best Wishes
IceMetal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
but all the PWM's, on this generator, run from a a single timer

Thank you for the information, but how can I use the other timers according to the datasheet on page 13
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39616d.pdf

This chip it has 4 timers, would be possible to start the timers at different time?
or what they mean by 4 timers?
I just need the PWM to be offset and when I adjust them not to overlap each other, but not to be inverted either, I hope it make sense.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 am     Reply with quote

It may have 4 timers, but the PWM module only works with timer 2. Look at the PWM section of the datasheet you linked.
IceMetal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am     Reply with quote

jeremiah wrote:
It may have 4 timers, but the PWM module only works with timer 2. Look at the PWM section of the datasheet you linked.

ok so is not 1 timer, any idea how can I run both timer separate from each other?
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am     Reply with quote

One possible solution is to just have a second I/O pin follow the logic level of the PWM output pin, but delayed by 200us.
Easily done in software, since as previously noted the PIC you're using doesn't have the hardware you need for a 'hardware' solution.
Depending on what else the PIC has to do, this can work.

hth
jay
IceMetal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 am     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
as previously noted the PIC you're using doesn't have the hardware you need for a 'hardware' solution.

sorry I still don't know what you mean by that, as jeremiah mention it has 2 timers, wouldn't that mean they can run individual from each other?
alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Not 2 timers, but Timer2.

Regards
IceMetal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 am     Reply with quote

so is there code to talk to a pic hardware to accomplish what I'm trying to do? is there any pic that actually has 2 timers? according to the datasheet I though I would be able to talk to each timer individually, but your guys are saying this chip even if it says it has 4 timers is only 1 timer?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

It is not a question of 'having two timers'. Most PIC's have at least four. It is a question of having two selectable by the PWM.
You happen to have chosen a chip with the power control PWM, which is specifically designed to give multiple high resolution PWM channels. Generally the actual timing of PWM pulses does not matter at all for most applications, it is the timing of the modulation that matters, hence the PWM's are synchronised to reduce the number of actual timers needed.
However a very large number of PIC's support using two different timers for the PWM. Usually chips with several ECCP modules, and more timers, allow the ECCP modules to select different timers Examples are the PIC45K22 family, that allow Timers 2, 4, and 6 to be selected for the ECCP channels. The key is to read the PWM section of the data sheet and look for a table listing what timers can be used. Of the first half dozen data sheets I looked at, more than half support more than one timer for the PWM.

Best Wishes
IceMetal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 am     Reply with quote

thank you, so i'm back where i started Smile
how can i control each timer separate so they would start at different time?
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:21 am     Reply with quote

simple answer...you can't with that PIC.
from the datasheet, timers, diagrams
It appears all timers are 'synced' with FOsc/4, or an external clock
The PWM module has it's own 'clock', so ALL 8 PWMs are synced to it..

As I've said before, one easy solution, is to have one 'master' PWM that does what you want, then have code to read that pin,delay 200us, then set a second pin to whatever the first one is.Depending on what else is going on a simple inline delay_us(200) could work or get fancy an do it inside an ISR.

hth
jay
IceMetal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:42 am     Reply with quote

OK Jay, so all 4 timer on datasheet is just for advertising, when in reality is only 1 timer?
what would be an example code with CCS with a pic with 2 timers and which pic microcontroller would be?
alan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am     Reply with quote

No, there are 4 timers, but only 1 can be mapped to the PWM circuitry. Look at a Motor control chip, some of them have independant timers for the PWM's or a PHASE register which will do exactly what you want. I use dsPIC's for that, but I am sure you will get an PIC18 or PIC24 as well.

Regards
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

You should be able to use a PIC with ECCP modules using PWM(Enhanced mode) like the PIC18F46K22. Download the datasheet and read section 14.4( page 190+).Using half-bridge mode and pins PxA,PxB and setting the 'delay' correctly may get you what you want.
The PIC18F46K22 is my 'Swiss Army Knife' goto PIC. Lots on memory and internals.Though I haven't used the enhanced mode it seems simple enough to setup.

Just start off with the '1Hz LED ' test program to confirm the PIC's Ok, then configure the ECCP as required.A 2 channel scope on the output pins will confirm operation.

good luck
Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: