CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to CCS Technical Support

multiple uarts with gps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andys

multiple uarts with gps
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 am     Reply with quote

I need to use 2 Uart channels. The first to communicate with an gps and the second for the printing the results at the screen.

My problem is how to use the uarts.
For a example if i need to use puts("xxxxx");
How to define which one of the uart is responsible to print this?

(I mean how the compiler know if the "puts" command is going to execute by the GPS's uart or to the pc's uart)
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 am     Reply with quote

I found this in the CCS manual
Quote:
How can I use two or more RS-232 ports on one PIC®?

Followed by an example of how to do it.

Mike
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

Right...

You would use "streams" and then fprintf or fputs (and all the other fxxxx funtions for input/output)

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

&&
in case of confusion,
make sure it is a pic with DUAL hardware EUSARTS
( far fewer of these than single serial eusart pics)

as software RS232 is really not going to bring any joy.........
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

asmboy wrote:
&&
in case of confusion,
make sure it is a pic with DUAL hardware EUSARTS
( far fewer of these than single serial eusart pics)

as software RS232 is really not going to bring any joy.........

Also -- a must.

A bunch of the PIC18's have them. I'm not sure about the PIC16 series. I think some do...

Anyway -- look for dual EUSARTs -- they definitely make life a LOT easier.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

I've been using the 18F46K22 for about a year...2 UARTs,lots of memory,tons of peripherals, etc.
andys

multiple uarts with gps
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

I used the code bellow and circuit
( http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/8875379500_1368409736.png) .
I used the dspic33fj64gp202

I expecting to receive the data from GPS and print them to pc's screen.
Unfortunately nothing appear

Is anyone who have any ideas what is going wrong ?
First of all the connectivity diagram is correct?

Code:

#PIN_SELECT U1TX=PIN_B14
#PIN_SELECT U1RX=PIN_B15
#USE RS232(UART1,ERRORS,BAUD=9600,STREAM=COM_A)

#PIN_SELECT U2TX=PIN_B13
#PIN_SELECT U2RX=PIN_B12
#USE RS232(UART2,ERRORS,BAUD=4800,STREAM=COM_B)

int main()
{
char comandGPR[10];
fprintf(COM_A,"Online\n\r");
      while(TRUE)
      {
      fputs("HELLO", COM_A);
      fgets(comandoGPR,COM_B);
      fputs(comandoGPR ,COM_A);
      delay_ms(1000);
      }
return 0;
}
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:13 am     Reply with quote

You don't show us your fuses/clock settings, so we can't tell if there might be a problem here.
Compiler version?.
Generally, when using selectable pins, you need to specify the TRIS yourself.
As a comment, get rid of the return at the end of the main, and the int declaration. The main has nowhere to return 'to', and cannot return a value (this is why it should be declared as void). It is never called by an OS like a normal C program, it _is_ the entire code.
Most GPS's return strings that are longer than 10 characters. Are you sure your buffer is large enough?.
Typing error 'comandGPR', versus 'comandoGPR'. Doesn't give confidence this is what you are actually trying...
Your should turn off the analog functions, and any fixed peripherals on the pins. These have priority over re-mappable functions.
Test the UART's individually first. Do a simple 'hello world' type output on each. Then once you know it is transmitting, try an input on each.

Best Wishes
ezflyr

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Your hardware is wrong. First of all, your schematic is really horrible. A schematic should not only document the components, and the electrical connections used, it should show "how" things are connected. Lack of simple nomenclature symbols on your parts (eg. 'TxD' and 'RxD') on your schematic forces the reader to constantly refer to outside references like datasheets. A schematic should 'enlighten', and not 'confuse', which is what yours does.....

Your schematic has at least two fatal errors that I can find at a quick glance. The first is that the PC serial port connections are reversed, assuming that you aren't using a 'null modem' serial cable. This is the same error you made months ago when you were trying to get your dsPIC33 working with RS232 (hence our frustration that you aren't learning anything....). The second error is that one of your PIC TX outputs is connected to a MAX232 receiver output.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on UARTs and serial communications:
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/104

John

Last edited by ezflyr on Mon May 13, 2013 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
asmboy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:07 am     Reply with quote

a quick comment
i NEVER use gets() || fgets()

so quoting the CCS doc:
Quote:

Reads characters (using getc()) into the string until a RETURN (value 13) is encountered.

unless you spec a timeout value in #use rs232
the above mentioned call is a potential deadlock
that a good programmer will avoid like the plague that it is

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
andys

multiple uarts with gps
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah,

I have already test individual the rs232 connections between PC and microcontroller and is working fine.
For example if I put as comment the fgets/fputs which are relative to COM_B (GPS) everything is working fine.

Code:

while(1){
       fputs("HELLO", COM_A);
      //fgets(comandoGPR,COM_B);
      //fputs(comandoGPR ,COM_A);
      delay_ms(1000);
      }

So my problem is not at the clock settings, or is not need the TRIS command.

When I define a char comandoGPR[10]; and then with fgets(comandGPR,COM_B); I expect to read 9 character string which is generated by the GPS.(I know that the GPS with NMEA ptotocol will generate more that 9 characters) but with the command fputs(comandGPR ,COM_A); I expect to see something to the rs232 screen.
Finally if the COM_A rs232 is working then the compiler version is ok.(Correct me if I am wrong)

Asmboy,

I don’t know how to read/write a string with the fputc. (I always use the fputs/fprintf)
I modified the code so to read a character from the GPS and write it to the screen (at the moment I need to see something from the GPS – to know that the communication between GPS and microcontroller is working)
I use the code bellow :
Code:

while(1)
      {
fputs("HELLO", COM_A);
      comandoGPR=fgetc(COM_B);
      fputc(comandoGPR, COM_B);
}
andys

multiple uarts with gps
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah,

I have already test individual the rs232 connections between PC and microcontroller and is working fine.
For example if I put as comment the fgets/fputs which are relative to COM_B (GPS) everything is working fine.

Code:

while(1){
       fputs("HELLO", COM_A);
      //fgets(comandoGPR,COM_B);
      //fputs(comandoGPR ,COM_A);
      delay_ms(1000);
      }

So my problem is not at the clock settings, or is not need the TRIS command.

When I define a char comandoGPR[10]; and then with fgets(comandGPR,COM_B); I expect to read 9 character string which is generated by the GPS.(I know that the GPS with NMEA protocol will generate more that 9 characters) but with the command fputs(comandGPR ,COM_A); I expect to see something to the rs232 screen.
Finally if the COM_A rs232 is working then the compiler version is ok.(Correct me if I am wrong)

Asmboy,

I don’t know how to read/write a string with the fputc. (I always use the fputs/fprintf)
I modified the code so to read a character from the GPS and write it to the screen (at the moment I need to see something from the GPS – to know that the communication between GPS and microcontroller is working)
I use the code bellow :
Code:

while(1)
      {
fputs("HELLO", COM_A);
      comandoGPR=fgetc(COM_B);
      fputc(comandoGPR, COM_B);
}

What do you think?

Ezflyr,
I don’t understand why your so offensive against me.
I am not a professional programmer of dspic and I try to programming when I have a free time from my work just for hobby. (If you don’t want to involve at my question just don’t do it).
Btw you said that the connections are wrong but (at least the connection between microcontroller and pc ) is working.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 am     Reply with quote

Seriously you are missing the point about the length of the buffer. gets, has no limit at the length of the buffer. If any string arrives from the GPS, that is longer than 9 characters, the data will be written into the ram of your chip overwriting other variables, and the code will go wrong/stop working. A 'string' requires one more character of storage than the actual length expected, so you must make your buffer longer than the longest string you may receive from the GPS, to have any hope of it working.....
Use input.c and the get_string function, and limit this to 9 characters, or expand the buffer to 256 characters (nmea has a limit on the maximum line length at 255 characters).

There is a secondary major problem that with the huge delay, enormous amounts of data will be lost. Remember only a couple of characters of buffering in the UART, and the GPS will keep sending all the time. Why delay?. the code waits for the message from the GPS.

Then you say you have tested the RS232. Have you remembered the null modem wiring needed to attach a port on the PIC that talks OK to the PC, to a GPS that also talks OK to a PC?.

You are going to need to look at using buffered serial receive (ex_sisr.c), to have any hope of this working properly in the future.

Best Wishes
ezflyr

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi andys,

I'm sorry, you are right, I should tone down my comments or not post at all. Lately, it seems like there are so many posts by people who don't want to do any work (I'm NOT referring to you here!), and that colors my mood when posting! Again, sorry for my earlier comments!

In addition to what Ttelmah says about your code, you definitely have some hardware problems! The PC connection is "non-standard", but it will work if you are using a "null modem" cable, which swaps the Tx and Rx connections internally. If this is working, and you can see data on your PC screen originating from the PIC, then don't worry about it!!

Your GPS, on the other hand, will not work as drawn in your schematic!! First, I assume your GPS has an RS232 output, and transmits/receives RS232 voltage levels. As drawn, the Tx output of your GPS is trying to drive the output of a MAX232 Tx driver. That's bad, and will not work! Here are the GPS/MAX232 connections you need:

GPS Tx ---> MAX232 Pin 8, and then Max232 Pin 9 ---> PIC Pin 6 (Rxd)
GPS Rx <--- MAX232 Pin 7, and then Max232 Pin 10 <--- PIC Pin 5 (Txd)

Once the hardware is working, we can help with the code.

If you are serious about working with electronics as a hobbiest, I would recommend that you take a look at the Cadsoft Eagle schematic and board layout software. I believe there is a free version for home/hobby use, and you can use it to vastly improve your schematics!! It will also allow you to design your own simple PCB's!

John
andys

multiple uarts with gps
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

Ok ezflyer I suggest to forget all these, I am sure that you hadn't any bad purpose.

Now according the thread I did the changes at the hardware and now I can see garbage to the screen. (This is an improvement , mean at least that something is transmitted ) . (I didn’t use any null modem i will buy when i find some free time).

Now according the software issues , is need to use interrupts ?
Also i tried to use the code front the example ex_sisr.c after Ttelmah suggestion but i can see only garbage at the screen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: