CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB host on dsPIC33EP chips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naughty_mark

USB host on dsPIC33EP chips
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

Dear All,

Does anyone know if CCS has USB host example code on dsPIC33EP microchip?
I am using dsPIC33EP256MU814 or dsPIC33EP512MU814 microchip, and want to use its USB OTG feature to build code that can creat, write and read file from a external USB stick.
I searched our forum, most people use FTDI solution because asking PIC to performance as host will include lots of work(code). I was wondering does CCS have example(driver) about it currently?

EDIT: One more question, because I am doing USB host program, is there any way(software or/and hardware) that I can monitor what data the micro send out on the USB bus for me to debug?

Thanks a lot.
Mark
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am     Reply with quote

You'd have to translate the MicroChip examples.

I'm afraid I don't know of anyone actually having done this.

Best Wishes
naughty_mark

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
You'd have to translate the MicroChip examples.

I'm afraid I don't know of anyone actually having done this.

Best Wishes

Thanks Ttelmah, yesterday I looked at Microchip example, honestly, it is hard for me to translate such amount code to fit in CCS compiler and make a working USB host module. Shocked
Actually currently my code problem is even I can not send the token out like I mentioned several weeks before in thread, especially dsPIC33EP USB feature (BDP part) is different from other chips...
arocholl

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 am     Reply with quote

If you need USB support, I would not recommend CCS compiler, go with the Microchip compilers. If you use an external USB IC, such as FTDI, then you only work with standard RS232 or SPI commands, depending on the model you choose. In that case CCS compiler is fine because no real USB work is needed in the PIC.

For your second question, you will need a USB sniffer, there are many online.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:52 am     Reply with quote

I've used the Vinculum chips in the past. Super simple and easy to implement to get 'up and running' without the USB-blues.Flash drives are easy unlike SD/MMC cards ,as we all know .While the upfront cost of Vchips is high, it's a LOT cheaper than the $$$ for codecutting!
USB is a horribly complex,nondeterministic,memory hog serial interface that 'everyone' seems to love...until YOU have to cut real code for it!
.. I can understand why CCS hasn't spent the time and resources(man power) on code for it.Very little,if any, 'return on investment'.It's better to tweak their compilers,offer new PCBs, etc.

cheers
Jay
naughty_mark

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
I've used the Vinculum chips in the past. Super simple and easy to implement to get 'up and running' without the USB-blues.Flash drives are easy unlike SD/MMC cards ,as we all know .While the upfront cost of Vchips is high, it's a LOT cheaper than the $$$ for codecutting!
USB is a horribly complex,nondeterministic,memory hog serial interface that 'everyone' seems to love...until YOU have to cut real code for it!
.. I can understand why CCS hasn't spent the time and resources(man power) on code for it.Very little,if any, 'return on investment'.It's better to tweak their compilers,offer new PCBs, etc.

cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay.
I used Vinculum before, Yes, it is easy to use, that microchip does all lower layer software for us, I like it.
It looks so far no better solution for this problem... Embarassed
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to 'open the wallet' and buy a ready made solution! It sure beats banging you head against the wall trying to accomplish the same task.This from a guy who would wirewrap 4000 series chips to make a '6402' UART clone....yeesh...those were the dayze.
Same goes for 'USB' to PIC...instead of using PICs with USB, I now use a $3 USB-TTL module.Totally hassle free,wireup and GO.NO USB coding required, leaving valuable R&D time to be spent on the real code issues.

cheers
jay
naughty_mark

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="naughty_mark"]
temtronic wrote:

cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay.
I used Vinculum before, Yes, it is easy to use, that Vchip does all lower layer software for us, I like it.
It looks so far no better solution for this problem... Embarassed
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:43 am     Reply with quote

Yes, it is a problem.
Key thing is that 'slave' USB, is 'relatively' simple. Master is perhaps ten times harder (depending on the devices involved). As a slave, the PIC code works pretty well, and on chips with reasonable amount of RAM/ROM, can be a very acceptable solution. However master, forces you up to one of the OTG chips, and the code becomes increasingly complex. Unfortunately, there has not been a port done of the Microchip code (anyone remember how CCS were promising a Microchip compatibility mode for the compiler so one would be able to compiler Microchip code directly a while ago....). I must admit if I was looking at a application that was for at least perhaps 10000 units, I'd probably just sit down and port the Microchip code, to keep the parts cost as low as possible. For anything below this, I'd probably try to save a few pence/cents by going for a slightly lesser PIC, and just add the Vinculum. The cost per board would be offset by the reduction on code costs.....

Best Wishes
naughty_mark

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind helps, guys.
Because the USB feature is just a part of the project, maybe it is hard to use Microchip compiler to just fit USB module, and for the microcontroller selection, it was selected by hardware engineer, and they have their reason, and the hardware design is fixed or say hard to change. Looks I need either like Ttelmah said to translate microchip example to fit in CCS compiler or I wrote my code which I don't think I can make it with my current skill and time limitation.. Shocked

By the way, if I want to define a 512-byte aligned array, you know BDT is 512-bytes aligned, is there a easier way to define those BDT? The way I can think is just use #locate to define those BDs one by one.

Thank you guys again, if I make some break through, I will let you know.
Wink

Kind Regards
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: