CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS 4 -> CCS 5, fuse name changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akohlsmith

CCS 4 -> CCS 5, fuse name changes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

Are the fuse name changes for each release documented anywhere? The manual on the website has not been updated for CCS 5 and the program that lists the valid fuses seems to also have gone missing with CCS 5.

For the PIC24F32KA304, SOSC_DIGITAL and NOWDT used to be valid fuse settings, but I'm having difficulty finding what their new names are. It *appears* that they were aliases for the normal (un-blown) fuse settings, so they were removed, but I can't find any way to verify this.

Is there up to date documentation hiding somewhere in plain sight that I'm just not seeing? Is there a changelog for PCD? Is there a way to download an older version so I can just stick with what works instead of playing whack-a-mole every time I update the compiler?
ckielstra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am     Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know v5 is already out there!
How did you get it?

Quote:
Is there a changelog for PCD?
Yes, on the CCS website is a change log.
Quote:
Is there a way to download an older version so I can just stick with what works instead of playing whack-a-mole every time I update the compiler?
v4.141 is stable and the only one available on the CCS website. (that's why I don't understand you got hold of a v5 compiler).

What most seasoned people on this forum do is to save an installer package for every version they have ever used so you can always revert.
New versions fix problems but introduce others as well. Often it is best to stick with known problems instead of using the latest-greatest release.

Quote:
Are the fuse name changes for each release documented anywhere?
I don't have v5 but in the previous versions you had the following sources of information:
- The top of the header file for your processor shows all valid fuses
- in Program Files\PICC there is a file called fuses.txt with a very short description of all fuses.

In the Program Files\PICC directory is also a readme.txt with latest changes to the compiler not yet included in the manuals.

Please note that CCS has the bad habit of releasing many alpha quality versions of a major new compiler release without mentioning that these release haven't been tested. For example the v4 compiler became usable after 70+ releases and the v3.2 after 26 releases. Expect this process to take more than a year.
It's good to test v5 but don't plan to use it in a production environment for the next 18 months.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 am     Reply with quote

ckielstra wrote:
How did you get it?

According to CCS there is a V5 in early beta. Here's the meat of their announcment:

Quote:

CCS will be releasing Version 5 beta of the CCS C Compiler in the upcoming months. We will be regularly rolling out new features with each beta release. Check back weekly to see "What is new now!"

We are looking for beta testers* and welcome any comments on features you would like to see most in Version 5.

So its somewhat premature for anyone to expect us to support V5 in any way at this stage. I must also stress that we are not CCS, we are a user self-help community without any direct connection to CCS.

RF Developer
akohlsmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 am     Reply with quote

ckielstra wrote:
How did you get it?

It was what the download link had. I have no elite site hacking skills. :-)

Quote:
Yes, on the CCS website is a change log.

I've been all over the site and combed its sitemap... I do not see a changelog, just lots and lots of advertising stating what the compilers can do and how to add one to the cart.

Quote:
v4.141 is stable and the only one available on the CCS website. (that's why I don't understand you got hold of a v5 compiler).

I don't mind (and would actually prefer) to use a 4.x version since it's what I know, but I can't find a link to download older versions. Am I missing these links? I'm usually pretty good at finding things before asking for help, but I'm drawing a complete blank here.

Quote:
What most seasoned people on this forum do is to save an installer package for every version they have ever used so you can always revert.
New versions fix problems but introduce others as well. Often it is best to stick with known problems instead of using the latest-greatest release.

I completely agree. I'm going to dig through my downloads directory and see if I have an old installer somewhere. The fact that the release filenames are all identical and unhelpful doesn't help here. :-(

Quote:

- The top of the header file for your processor shows all valid fuses
- in Program Files\PICC there is a file called fuses.txt with a very short description of all fuses.

I found the header file which was useless for telling me what a particular fuse name did. I see that v5 *did* improve the fuse listing in PCDIDE which gave the exact fuse bit number(s) and location, and that's how I eventually came to the conclusion that CCS removed the fuse settings for unblown fuses.

Quote:
In the Program Files\PICC directory is also a readme.txt with latest changes to the compiler not yet included in the manuals.

I just checked that file out. No mention of disappearing fuse names (SOSC_DIGITAL and NOWDT in particular), but thank you for that reference, I will check that in the future before posting.

Quote:
Please note that CCS has the bad habit of releasing many alpha quality versions of a major new compiler release without mentioning that these release haven't been tested. For example the v4 compiler became usable after 70+ releases and the v3.2 after 26 releases. Expect this process to take more than a year.

This is exactly why I do not recommend CCS compilers to anyone nor do I use them for new projects. I'm used to stable, spec-following compilers, proper documentation of settings and changes as well as full API documentation (and most times source to go with it). CCS certainly fills a niche but I don't like playing games with my tools.

Thank you very much for your response. CCS is very fortunate to have such a loyal following. It's you guys who make the compiler useful.
akohlsmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 am     Reply with quote

RF_Developer wrote:
So its somewhat premature for anyone to expect us to support V5 in any way at this stage. I must also stress that we are not CCS, we are a user self-help community without any direct connection to CCS.

As I mentioned in my last post, I believe the only reason CCS can sell its products is because they are (ab)using their loyal users. I've transitioned over to the more sane microchip XC compiler series for PIC and of course stick with GCC for anything it supports.

I certainly do not expect support from the community; I expect support from the company making money selling the compiler. Community support is just a (very nice) bonus, and unfortunately in CCS' case, the only support readily available.

Thank you for responding to my post, I do appreciate it.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Just under the 4.141 download button 'view recent changes'...

Try actually using the download button again. Hopefully you will get 4.141, which is what the button is meant to give.

I'd 'guess' there was a site error at some point, and it gave you a beta version by mistake. So go back to the working version instead.

There is a version 5 tab at the top of the download page, but you are meant to have to register as a beta (alpha...) tester to get this.

Best Wishes
dyeatman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 am     Reply with quote

The version 5 compiler is being made available to those of us who have
active compiler maintenance and request to be a Beta tester. Version 5
has a number of nice additons (some are described via the link at the top
of the Forum web page). I am testig some of these now to see how
they work. Looks very promising!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

I was wondering about V5 - quite a while ago, I received email telling me it was coming and did I want to be a beta tester. Then not too long ago, there was an email about watching for April 15 or something like that for news on V5. Never heard any more. Sounds like they have slid the release I guess.

mikey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: