CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB Controller system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameszum

USB Controller system
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Good Morning
I am looking for, are some good starting example(s) for my project
I am using a PIC24FJ64GB002, with built in USB controller and what I need to do is connect to and control several USB sensors. Two of the sensors run at USB 2.0 speed and 2 are v1.0.
The pic needs to connect to the sensors (through a hub), control their operation, log the data, and then send the data over a wireless interface when finished. This is a standalone system as there are no PC or MAC’s connected to this system
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Obvious place to start is to compile the examples that CCS supplies and get them 'up and running'.
You've got an ambitious project though done in small stages, is quite doable.
How you proceed is up to you though I might begin by getting the PIC to talk to a PC via hardwire, then to a sensor, then another sensor, then datalog (to what ?), leaving the wireless to last. Each subsection has it's own 'challenges' and needs the details worked out before going to the next one.

hth
jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Seriously, writing a USB host is quite hard with the PIC.
Getting reliable operation for a variety of devices takes a lot of work.
None of the CCS examples cover host operation.
Vastly easier to use something that comes with a pre-writen USB host stack, like the Vinculum. This interfaces easily to the PIC, and reduces the work massively. They are not expensive, and if this device is only a relatively 'small run' device, the extra costs of this will be far less than the development costs of trying to do a host with the PIC....

Best Wishes
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

I have to agree with Mr. T here. I've used the V2 for about a year and once my head got 'straight' over terminology, it was a pretty slick solution.
Far less code required = more memory for 'other stuff'. Having an 'off the shelf' solution for $30 saved $$$$$ in R&D labour costs.

hth
jay
jameszum

USB Controller system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 am     Reply with quote

I have already ordered a Vinculum-II demo board from Digi-Key. I figured that would be the way to go since none of the pic examples (that I can find) use the pic as a master.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: