CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

bootloader "PIC Not responding" message

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wirelessage

bootloader "PIC Not responding" message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hello all:

I have a PIC18F2680. I am using the CCS Bootloader client to talk to my firmware.
Before using the loader code to download firmware, I am just trying to get the communication going between the client and firmware and running into some issues.

I am getting a "PIC Not responding" message on the PC with the following log:
APRO v4.07
Compiler : Delphi 2006
Operating System : Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3
Device: \\.\COM1
Date/time: 15/02/13, 11:44:37
Time Type SubType Data OtherData
-------- -------- ------------ -------- ---------
0000.085 TrDatChg Avail 00000001
0000.091 TrgHdAlc Window 003005A0
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 ;
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 H
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 E
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 L
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 L
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 O
0000.092 Dispatch WriteCom 00000001 [0D]

I am suspecting it be a flow control (timeout) issue. I know that the firmware is receiving these bytes. But I suspect the PC is not getting any messages back from the firmware. However, in order to debug this I need to know what the CCS Client is configured for?
Can anyone shed some light on the ccs bootloader client Flowcontrol configuration??
Also, is the source code for this client available?
I have my firmware setup to 9600baud,no parity,8bit,
The Client side is setup 9600 Baud, no parity, 8 bit, XON/XOFF Flow control.
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

When you say "bootloader client" - I'm assuming you have compiled the bootloader with CCS and programmed it to the PIC...

And now you are using another PC program (3rd party or written by you) to send the application code to the PIC's bootloader for programming, yes?

If this is the case, there IS a CCS Bootloader program called SIOW.exe which is what you COULD be using to test the bootloader. After all, the PIC bootloader sends out commands back to the PC client while it's doing its work so that the PC program doesn't overrun the bootloader while it's programming.

-Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

- I am using CCS compiler to generate my firmware hex file and program that into the PIC.
- When I say bootloader client, I am referring to the "ccs bootloader" program one can download from CCS website. I call it a client because it "initiates" the connection to talk to the firmware.

- Using the CCSBOOTLOADER.EXE is great, but I would prefer to have the code for it to know what it is doing; that way I can debug what is going on (with the commands the EXE is sending and expecting from the PC side).
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

wirelessage wrote:
- I am using CCS compiler to generate my firmware hex file and program that into the PIC.
- When I say bootloader client, I am referring to the "ccs bootloader" program one can download from CCS website. I call it a client because it "initiates" the connection to talk to the firmware.

- Using the CCSBOOTLOADER.EXE is great, but I would prefer to have the code for it to know what it is doing; that way I can debug what is going on (with the commands the EXE is sending and expecting from the PC side).

Got it...

OK -- well, you can use a serial sniffer to make sure the PC client is sending anything...

but then also you have the source code for the PIC's bootloader - so you can just look in those source files and see what needs to go on from the PIC's side of it.

If CCS's PC bootloader "client" isn't working with CCS's PIC bootloader library, then there's most likely a setting that's off someplace.

It could be as simple as the RS232 TX/RX lines being reversed.

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: