CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB I/F

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edi

USB I/F
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:47 am     Reply with quote

I have application that log information and store it on the PIC's EEPROM.
From time to time I need to transfer the stored logs via USB to a PC.
Can someone recommend on the proper USB mode for it?
Is it CDC, HID or Storage?
What are the advantage/disadvantage?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Depends on how often the data is generated, how much data is generated, and what else is happening on the bus.
If the data amounts are small, then probably CDC. If larger, then storage.

Best Wishes
edi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Is it possible to use Storage mode using the PIC internal EEPROM memory or SD card/other storage is needed?

Can you please refer to sample or other links that might help.
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

Normally 'data loggers' require more memory than a typical PIC has in EEPROM and there are 3 usual options.
1) FRAM
2)MMC/SD
3)USB Flash drives

What you choose all depends upon application,cost and programmers skill level.

FRAM is somewhat costly and I've never used it...

MMC/SD is full of minor bugs (like mismatched VDD levels, driver limits), I will NOT use them. There is no real standard for the cards and size matters!

USB flash drives use the 'Vinculum' module (about $30). Pluses include unlimited storage capability, simple interface, simple programming(driver), any PC can easily read the data (if stored in CSV format).

You have to first know how much data(in bytes) you need to store.Be generous as you'll always need more.

Do a search of this forum for mmc/sd and you'll see dozens of topics,tons of 'issues' and a LOT of frustration when trying to use them.

Ask yourself what is your time worth! $30 for a 100% working module is less than a 1/3hr of my time, so how soon do you need your code 'up and running'.

hth
jay
edi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am     Reply with quote

Thanks.
What about HID - what is the recommended case to use it?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:12 am     Reply with quote

HID, is a 'class' of interfaces, not a single interface type. Stands for 'human interface device', and covers things like keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc. etc.. There is a sub part of this covering things like thermometers, which can be used for a data logger, but again we are back to the original question I asked, how much data, how often updated?.
Examples:

Simple data 'logger' returning a dozen values, once a second. Honestly easiest, CDC. Think about it this is exactly what a device like a GPS returns, and here there is a serial standard used, with a little bracket encapsulated packet, comma separated numbers, easy to read on a serial interface.
Then a data logger that people want to look at/interrogate. Actually probably easier to implement over ethernet. Actually generate a web page with the device. Could be done as a CDC device using TCP as an encapsulation layer on top.
Then a device that gives a movement reaction to some external stimulus. Possibly implement as an HID joystick device.
Then a logger where people want to be able to look at a lot of data. Implies you need the storage for this (SD card etc.), and probably bulk transfer storage device class. However if the amount of data is only a few kB, this could just be a RAM buffer in a larger PIC.

So, the amounts of data, and how you want to interface to it, changes what solution is best/easiest to use. This needs to be your starting point.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: