CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Streaming and monitoring Data through ICDU64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki

Streaming and monitoring Data through ICDU64
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anybody know in detail how the directive #use rs232(ICD) is working?

I made a few tests but it is not fully clear from the descriptions found in the compiler manual and information in the CCS website.

1. When I am using the ICD debugger with #use rs232(ICD), nothing happens, no data stream shown in the debugger monitor window. But in the website it is actually mentioned that automatically the siow program will be started for receiving the data stream.
How can this function be used with the debugger?

2. Programming the chip with ccsload and running the program will automatically open the new streaming data functions in the ccsload program like live terminal, siow etc.
But how can I use any other terminal program to see the data stream? How to set up all the communication parameters like ports, baud rate, etc?

3. I tried to use #use rs232(stream=ICD) instead of #use rs232(ICD). It can be compiled, but the streaming function is not working after programming the chip with ccsload.
How can the ICD data streaming function be used together with other data streams in the same program like f. e. #use rs232(stream=DISPLAY)?

4. In the tutorial video in the CCS website there is a demo shown how to use the siow graph functions. Where can I find a short description about the special characters and the string format I have to use for this program (like labeling axes, number of points, gain, etc.)?

5. Is there any example program available demonstrating all the features?

6. With #use rs232(DEBUGGER) I can use the debugger monitor window to see the data stream.
What is the difference between #use rs232(DEBUGGER) and #use rs232(ICD)?
Rich

ICD-U64 Steaming problems
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I am having the same problem getting the new serial streaming through the ICD-U64 to work with the latest CSSLOAD firmware(4.039) and PCH V4.137 compiler. Is there any additional information on this new streaming command? All I could find was a video. On the chip I am using I have two serial ports. Is it possible to use the rs232(ICD) command with other parameters like:

#use rs232(ICD, baud=38400, xmit=PIN_B6, rcv=PIN_B7,stream=P233,ERRORS)

Also, how do these settings apply to using the 'ICD' mode?

#device ICD=TRUE ?
#FUSES NODEBUG //No Debug mode for ICD
Requan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

When I am using the ICD debugger with #use rs232(ICD), nothing happens, no data stream shown in the debugger monitor window.

Hi,
I observed that sometimes variable are not seen in debugger. When we define it as global we can see but i don't know why it's happen.

Best Regards,
Martin
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 am     Reply with quote

The difference between debug monitoring and plain monitoring is....
Debug
With CCS IDE and debug monitoring using #USE RS232(DEBUGGER) any printf is directed through the default pinB3 to the monitor screen in the CCS IDE when debug is selected. The choice of the monitor pin is selectable.
Run time
Now suppose you don't want to debug but would still like to monitor. Also suppose you are powering the target board via the ICDU64. Your printf can still be directed through PIN_B3. The small advantage is you don't need to add a max232 level shifter and since you originally wired your target for programming and debugging via the ICD- U64 there is no extra wiring. The ICD-U64 delivers the printf data through the usb cable to a PC program without needing the IDE and its debugger. This avoids the very small overhead the debugger would need. Again its a small advantage that is a bit more useful with small code space PIC's and can help in some rare situations
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I observed that sometimes variable are not seen in debugger. When we define it as global we can see but i don't know why it's happen.

Not strange at all. Does the same in MPLAB. Local variables only show when executing their routine. Outside the routine the RAM can be used for other variables, so does not make sense to show it in debug. Global variables don't have the same issues.

Mike
Requan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:48 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for explanation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: