CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Missing optimisations, non-optimal defaults?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ioncube

Missing optimisations, non-optimal defaults?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hi CCS
Just got CCS M to play with and it's going well so far, thanks for a good value tool. I did spot a few cases where a basic optimisation opportunity was missed though, and I wondered if these simply aren't done, or whether the MPLAB defaults aren't the maximum. If they are, perhaps these cases could be handled in a future update.

For example:

* Jumps to jumps. This can happen with the break of the last case block in a switch statement. Omitting the break is a fix.

* bit test rewriting
Example:
Code:

74:                      if (x & 8) {
   066    1DB5     BTFSS 0x35, 0x3
   067    2869     GOTO 0x69
75:                         output_high(CPLEX3);
   068    1685     BSF 0x5, 0x5
76:                         }

A BTFSS or BTFSC followed by a GOTO that skips a single instruction can be rewritten to invert the test logic and remove the goto.

* Switch range test
A slightly more tricky one, but if the range of a switched value is determined to lie within the range of cases, the range check in the switch setup code can be eliminated. For example, if the switched value is (x & 3), it is known that the range of possible values lies between 0 and 3, allowing more optimal code generation.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Regarding switch-case statements, read Ttelmah's comments:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47315
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45415
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 am     Reply with quote

Also, understand _this is not CCS_. This is a user forum. If you want to suggest optimisations to them, then you need to talk to them....
Read the top right corner of the forum page. Box there. Second line down.

Best Wishes
ioncube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, and I got that it's not a CCS operated forum. I wittingly posting here and had been reading over the last week or two before purchasing.

Working on a project to finally build light switches for the house (partner has enough of t&e and cat5 poking out of the wall!) and just getting to know the code generator to see what coding styles give the best code and when to #asm.

byte x = (y & 1 ? 10 : y & 2 ? 11 : y & 4 ? 12 : 0);

that can be coded with sequence of movlw and btfsc operations was another poor one. Inefficient mults by small constants I saw the other day too; e.g. i + i + i is fine whereas i * 3 is not. Normally I code in asm so can always drop out to that when needed, and if not pushed for speed and space then it's no big deal anyway. Productivity gains of C should really help on this one.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 am     Reply with quote

You're writing C, So write C unless its absolutely necessary. I personally doubt that any home automation application needs assembly for any purpose whatsoever. Yes, if you are using the very smallest PICs then it might be justified on code size grounds, but for speed, no. Programming is not some contest on who can write the fastest possible code. Professional programming is often about meeting requirements in the shortest practical development timeframe, and that pretty much means no assembler.

I know you come from an assembly background. Many of us have done all sorts of hardware, assembler for all sorts of processors: micro, mini and mainframe, as well as lots of C, C++, C#, Java, Algol, Fortran, Basic, etc, etc. Pretty much all of us will program PICs in C alone. There being no need ever to go to assembler. If we really have a problem that needs pure speed, then we sure wont be using PICs, we'll, be using something with far more grunt. What I am trying to say is try to change your mindset to a C one. Forget assembler for now. Write in C. Sure the C won't be optimal for speed, nor size, but unless that really matters, it doesn't matter.

RF Developer.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Inefficient mults by small constants I saw the other day too; e.g. i + i + i is fine whereas i * 3 is not.

Err, not necessarily. Most, if not all currently used PICs have at least an 8x8 bit hardware multilply that does such multiplications in the same time as a single addition. So i * 3 is FASTER than i + i + i if i is an 8 bit int, and 8 bit unsigned ints are the default int in CCS C.

It may be that for 16 bit ints the addition is faster than the multiplication.

RF Developer
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Not quite.
Though the multiplication itself needs only one cycle, the hardware multiply on the PIC doesn't support as many addressing modes as things like simple addition, so typically takes a cycle more, while you move things around. Hardly 'major' though. Using the CCS libraries, + and - using 8bit int's, take 3 machine cycles, while * takes 4.
However I'd disagree with "most if not all currently used PIC's have at least an 8x8 bit hardware multiply". _None_ of the PIC 16's do, and for a lot of stuff, including tiny embedded controllers of the type being talked about, these are still the commonest chips. In fact I think these are the commonest chips in existence, in things like RFID tags etc.. One project I was involved with moved 42million of these last year.

However I'm wondering what compiler version is being used here.
Code:

....................    x= (y & 1 ? 10 : y & 2 ? 11 : y & 4 ? 12 : 0); 
0037:  BTFSS  26.0
0038:  GOTO   03B
0039:  MOVLW  0A
003A:  GOTO   044
003B:  BTFSS  26.1
003C:  GOTO   03F
003D:  MOVLW  0B
003E:  GOTO   044
003F:  BTFSS  26.2
0040:  GOTO   043
0041:  MOVLW  0C
0042:  GOTO   044
0043:  MOVLW  00
0044:  MOVWF  25

For the current compilers (compiling for a PIC16), produces pretty much perfect code.

Best Wishes
ioncube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, the PIC community is great.

Of course I know that some PICs have the hw mults, just as I know that the ones I'm using right now don't Smile I often use 12f683's (my favourite PIC so far), and right now a 16f688 as I've an ICD header for it. After proof of concept I need a 16 with self write so the light switches can receive firmware updates.

I started on Z80's and 6502's as a kid and my projects tend to be pushing PIC's to the limits where every cycle counts, so asm's been a good choice for me; the last 683 project was emulating a 1-wire memory slave combined with IR sender to control our office aircon with cron jobs, from PHP, remotely etc. In asm and without an xtal for a higher clock it was a challenge, in pure CCS C it would likely have been impossible. For this task though a compiler seemed a good choice because as RFD said performance shouldn't be an issue, though there's still PWM to do on leds in the switches, LED animations and other odds and ends, so any grossly inefficient code could be an issue. Much as I like asm, of course it is nice to be using C for a change as certain effort just goes away which is what I wanted here.

The biggest challenge though in all this will be fitting it in a UK single light switch backbox, and finding some small IDC connectors for the cat5. That's where I predict issues.
asmboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

build light switches for the house

&&
Quote:

CAT5

as in ethernet packet based , household lighting wall switches?

cat5 && ac power in the wall box ?
requiring centralized control?
fault tolerant ?
works on 110 or 220 ?
does not waste power in the 'off' state ?

not x10 ?
not bluetooth ?
not with any local SPST toggle ?

this looks very futuristic, or am i way off the mark for what you are trying to achieve?

myself, i've been saving all my spare time for a robotic , pic based,
cat brushing and de-fleaing robot.
BUT with the pressures of paid work , my progress has been slow.
ioncube

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

T&E in the wall is a "backup" plan in case the networked switches didn't work or get done, and have given us some minimal control in a few places. It's an 1822 house that had to be rewired, including an extension at the back with a low ceiling that we gutted to raise the ceiling and floor above by a foot. Lots of new steels including one extra that we got in the wrong place to support the raised floor upstairs. Perfect chance to slap in some networks Smile A 1-wire cat5 network snakes around the house for temperature sensors. Cat5 for an rs485 net loops between the wall sockets. DMX for lights. FitPC on the wall in a cupboard runs the networks and some other stuff. Small HDMI touch screen on the other side of the wall programmed with QML gives a basic interface that has new features creeping in as and when there's time. Loads of unnecessary wiring and some that has got lost, but an interesting project.

X10 is hopeless for scene setting (been there, done that), though the stick-a-switches are not too bad provided that you have an RF receiver into a USB port (built one of those) to give no perceptible latency. I want the wall switches to have LED's for status feedback, so realistically batteries are out. Going mostly for Halers Evoled LED lights which dim surprisingly well in tests so far off cheap Chinese DMX dimmer packs.
asmboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

is this going to be a theater ( or theatre ?) or residence ?
or something else entirely ?

and even though the wiring may be there - have you considered something simpler than an ethernet ? ( and wireless) like Zigbee etc etc ?

I see you mentioned RS485 - and I am sure you could run THAT on an ether twist cable ( you don't mean you have ancient ethernet COAX right ? ) Smile Smile
ioncube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

This is for home. I used the cat5 (pink clipsal stuff) for the 1-wire network and light switches. It's simple rs485 rather than ethernet, cat5 is just a convenient cable to use. RF would work, but I'd go for 434 or 868Mhz rather than the Ghz range with zigbee and others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: