CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC18F14K50 MCLR problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russk2txb

PIC18F14K50 MCLR problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 am     Reply with quote

I didn't get an answer on this question before, maybe a poor subject. But this is serious for me. I cannot program the chip. CCS load will not read the chip ID. And it looks to me like there is a problem with the MCLR pin. I am pulling MCLR high with 11k, but when I measure voltage on MCLR it is only .25 volts. Looks like MCLR is set as an output and pulling low. First I thought I had a bad PIC, but just put in a new one and same problem.

I read the data sheet and it says that high voltage programming is always available by applying VIHH to MCLR. But nowhere does it specify what VIHH is. I guess it might be same as VPP, but ??? In any case, should not the device ID be readable?

I have the latest CcsLoad and firmware (versions 4.037 and 2.93 and hardware revision 2).

Has anyone else run into this problem. Or does anyone have a suggestion as to what could be wrong?

Thank you, Russ
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

You didn't get an answer because we don't have a solution. It's something
that CCS will have to fix.

But here is a possible fix:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47769

I recommend getting a backup programmer. The Pickit 3 supports
the 18F14K50:

Bare Pickit 3:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeyWords=PG164130
You may also want to buy this connector kit:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?keywords=AC164110

The 6-pin connectors on CCS and Pickit 3 appear to have the same pinout:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/faq.php?page=connect_icd
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/DS-51792B.pdf

Using it with CCS:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46740
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

It might help if you said what programmer you're using.

I use the Picstart plus, some use Pickit 2 ,some pickit3. I've heard of horror stories of trying to use the pickit3.....
russk2txb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

I'm using the U64 programmer. I guess I thought that could be figured out because I mentioned CCS Load program. Does anyone still use the U40? Mine died over a year ago.

So this looks somewhat like problems other people are having, but slightly different. One guy was getting the wrong ID, but my programmer cannot read the ID at all. It seems like something different has to be done with MCLR in order to read the ID. Of course I can't even try to program it if the ID read fails. I guess monday I will have to call CCS and see what the scoop is.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Russ
pebbert9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:51 am     Reply with quote

I had a programming problem which cropped up about 2 months ago after an update.

I had erase EEPROM disabled in ccsload and it refused to program my chip.

Once I enabled erase EEPROM my problem went away.

I am currently programming the PIC18F14K50 without a problem using the latest version of the software.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:15 am     Reply with quote

Russ, you shouldn't assume anything...'CCSload' to me just meant CCS's version of using ICSP to access a PIC. I've never read anything about it, so I wouldn't know it was specific to the U64 programmer.
Hay, when I started using PICs 25 years ago(sigh)..I cobbled a handful of parts to make programmers...finally bought a real one(18 years ago ?)a PicstartPlus ,now have two.
I also never use 'debuggers'...the real world is my test jig !
russk2txb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Pebbert9, thanks for the advice. But Erase EEPROM was already enabled. I did click the 'set to defaults' button and it enabled 'erase as little memory as necessary', but it makes no difference.

I did finally realize that MCLR being low is not the probem. If the programmer is not connected, or if it is and 'Run Program' has been clicked, then MCLR goes high.

But I finally was able to read the device ID. According to the data sheet:
Quote:
High-voltage programming is always available, regardless of the state of the LVP bit or the PGM pin.

But elsewhere I found:
Quote:
When LVP is enabled, externally pull the PGM pin to VSS to allow normal program execution.

So it looks like I do not have to do anything to PGM in order to program it using HVP, but just in case I tried grounding, and then applied a pullup to PGM. With the pullup it reads the ID! And programs! - but fails the verification. So now I have to figure that out.

Thanks again, Russ
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I'm no longer sure as to what the MCLR pull up resistor value should be. I use 4.7k on the newer chips but used to use 47k years ago on the old chips that programmed much slower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: