CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

NEED coding protototype advice against EMC-EMI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZextroM

NEED coding protototype advice against EMC-EMI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 am     Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to hearing, how to take a countermeasure against EMI by coding prototype.

Is there any standard for that ?

As far as I reach some articles, I took a look at IEC 61508 standard but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Do you know any procedures, steps or peripherals in order to write both safe and health codes ?

Thank you all in advance.
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:55 am     Reply with quote

We need more information.

There are both hardware and software issues.

Mike
ZextroM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 am     Reply with quote

I had one problem about Electromagnetic Brake system when my motors need to be braked (electromagnetic brake system makes huge-amount of noise to affect my edge-triggering interrupt input). how? when my system has the interrupt routine by edge-triggering (high-to-low) my cpu restarted (because of coding design) itself automatically. after closing the edge-trigerring iterrupt routine it was solved as i observed. then i decided to seek some articles on the net though i aint found enough material and its related clear documents.

there are many explanations and pcb design techniques on the net however none of them regard the software based emc protection (reduction) issues.

well i learn some countermeasures against EMI referred to push-button. I use delay technique to check again to go on working.

I also used this above method in my edge-triggering interrupt routine as well.

although i ve some in-field experience, in my case, this is not enough to write secure code and get it worked safely.

that's why i commence this topic right here to heed some advice from more experienced developers.
FvM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:59 am     Reply with quote

A system that's known to have serious EMC flaws as described doesn't apply to achieve any level of functional safety, I think.

There are different categories of effects that may be acceptable for different kind of interferences. For a electrostatic discharge, a temporary function loss with self-recovery can be accepted in some cases, but not for life sustaining systems and similar.

Interfererences generated by regular system operation (e.g. electrical braking) must not affect it's function in any way.

In so far I think, this is primarly a hardware issue rather than a software topic.
ZextroM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:43 am     Reply with quote

well, most described document's name "SOFTWARE TECHNIQUES FOR IMPROVING EMC PERFORMANCE" by STmicroelectronics. they claim, the emc can be immunized by software up to 20kV (IMMUNITY LEVEL (kV)).

they give some examples though those are little bit elusive.

therefore, i would like to learn how to write more safer and precise code against EMC-EMI

moreover, Is there coding-standard against EMC-EMI ?
temtronic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:03 am     Reply with quote

comments...
As others have pointed out there are 2 areas,hardware and softeware.

Hardware.First you have to know where the 'noise' is coming from,Yes, that sounds obvious...but is it from say a welder next door, bad wiring,improper sheilding?Is it a random pulse or something 'timed'?
Any pin going to the 'outside world' should have properly calculated capacitors,MOVs,inductors...to minimize the 'attack'.Be sure he power supply section is correct for ALL power demands! Switchers have a nasty habit of going 'wild' creating all sorts of 'noise' if trying to supply too much current.
Consider the hardware like an onion.Add layers of protection before ANY signals get to the PIC.Use wide traces for power and ground planes,even beefing them up with 22ga solid wire.

Software.What is a 'false' positive? You'll have to decide how often to sample a signal then confirm ,yes it is a 1 or a 0.Depending on the overall speed of the system, you may need a fast PIC(which can lead to more noise issues).One system I have, decides a '1' is really a '1' after 4 queries.Time is not the issue, integrity of data is.

1) Not too sure how 'software' can protect against a 20KV pulse! That pulse will physically damage the silicon,and no amount of code will help.

2) My remote energy control systems use local Bell telephone wiring to get from 'A' to 'B', up to 25 miles one way.That stuff is overhead poles, underground cabling, strapped to 550 lines,beside banks of welders,laying on roofs, etc.After several years of lightning strikes that took out PCs,POSes,etc. All of my panels have survived for 15+ years.

You'll spend 90% of your R&D time locating the 'noise',5% on hardware design to minmize it and the rest on actual program code(the easy part ).

hth
jay
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:46 am     Reply with quote

You must be getting the message by now.

The big part is hardware.

Somewhere along the line something will get corrupted.

You have to consider ways to mitigate against the effects of corrupted incoming data, and how you can gracefully recover from the processor going haywire.

All depends on your system and criteria

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: