CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC24FJ64GA002 Address Trap Error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFern

PIC24FJ64GA002 Address Trap Error
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have a target application running on a PIC24FJ64GA002 micro. Used CCS PCD V4.114 as the compiler. It is handling very complex state machine while nested interrupts are enabled.
Also the same target application has been deployed in around 30 boards which I tested long hours.
I saw some boards giving me address trap error but majority is working fine.
I can assure that they all going through the same state machine doing same computation one or the other time but few of the boards keep reporting address trap errors.
I am wondering why only some of the boards reporting address trap error while others working without any problem.
Do you think its could be a silicon errata issue of the micro or component problem?
Number of address errors also different board to board for a period of time like 1 board > 1000 trap errors.
I strongly believe that there could be software bugs that is a resultant to these trap issues. but difficult to understand is why some boards only effected.
Any comments?
asmallri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

An address trap error can be a word alignment problem when you attempt to access a word variable on an odd address boundary. An intermittent problem is not unrealistic. Try adding an address trap error handler to capture the offending address.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 am     Reply with quote

In a first place, I would search for user code errors, particularly related to pointer operations, that can easily bring up address errors.

I observed various PCD bugs involving address errors, the latest with V4.112 and V4.121. Besides wrong data alignment, as mentioned by Andrew, also access of non-existing memory addresses, preferably due to non-initialized pointers has been the cause. Most of these have been simple cases, where the erroneous coding can be seen from the disassembly listing, occuring in the instruction before the error address, that can be determined in the address error trap rountine.

More complex cases have been caused e.g. by unpaired push/pop instructions. But these errors aren't accidental.

In your case, I would start to record error addresses with the address error traps to better understand the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: