CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ELM327

View previous topic :: View next topic  
macgyver

ELM327
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Is there or does anyone have a driver for the ELM327?

Thanks.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

If this ELM327 is the Elm elctronics RS232 to OBD-II converter no 'driver' is required. Simple command/instruction structure, similar to controlling modems (AT cmd set).
Humberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Is there or does anyone have a driver for the ELM327?

Do you mean the "USB like" -RS232- drivers to connect it to a PC? If so I have the ELM327 USB drivers for W... XP and Vista.

Humberto
macgyver

ELM327
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Maybe i should of said interface software instead of driver. for example if you want to read RPM it would be RPM=(function call)
and return the number not sure how to decipher the at command returns.(converting hex)

Thanks.
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 am     Reply with quote

OK, now we know it is the ELM electronics chip, it gets easier.
Depending on the vehicle, some OBD-II commands are valid, others not. So you'll need to know what's available to you.
There is a 'core' of common

One way would be to query every command and see what comes back, if anything.However it could be easier to Google 'your car..OBD-II commands' and see what hits you get.

There are several good references to 'decoding' the results from various OBD-II queries, entire webpages in fact. Let Google be your friend.
As far as converting a hex result to decimal, use the CCS printf function, it'll save a lot of head scratching and time.
How to convert and display the information depends on the 'screen'. Is it going to a PC, local LCD screen( 2by16, 4by20),maybe a GLCD ?
macgyver

ELM327
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 am     Reply with quote

For now it will be just back to hyper terminal, but after it will do stuff based on the RPM.
Humberto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Well, this is not a trivial task. At first you will need the hardware interface compatible with your car. There are many ODB2 standard
protocols, some of them sharing the same hardware. Most of them use the standards normative defined by ISO or SAE.
For example if you want to communicate with a Ford, they use -mainly- the SAE J1850 protocol, which use PWM coding to comunicate
with its ECU's.
Assuming that you already have the interface, using the ELM327 you can comunicate with the ECU using 'AT' commands.

Regarding how to interact with individual OBD commands, you will find it in:
http://www.elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327QS.pdf

Humberto
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Actually it is trivial...but then all things are relative to what you are familiar with.

Simple serial communications,send a command... receive some data in return..process as required.

All the hard stuff is done in the ELM327, a 'swiss army knife' for OBD-II.
I've hard the Ford only version for years, setup my 25 year old laptop as the 'command and display' unit.

Today,in less than an hour(kinda raining here,so I'm surfing), I found several complete programs written in Basic and C,various references of cars vs. commands, as well as mfr/vehicle specific commands. The Web is a great tool,years ago it took me the better part of a week to find the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: