CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Impressions of CCS RTOS in PIC-C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkamen

Impressions of CCS RTOS in PIC-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hey there,

I was looking at the #USE RTOS again for something and was wondering what the various experiences people have had here using it.

Anyone do anything cool/reasonably big using the RTOS they thought had good outcomes versus something like an interrupt driven w/more free running environment?

Thanks,

-Ben

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't used the CCS RTOS but I have to support several projects that use the RTXC RTOS, but not on a PIC.

For things like user interfaces (many different "screens" on a graphical display) and handling button presses, a RTOS makes things a bit easier. However, getting down to the dirty details of reacting to fast events, messages (such as CAN messages), I find a RTOS makes that truly difficult. I'm uncovering issues that we thought were due to hardware that are actually weird race conditions caused by the RTOS.

A redesign of our system is on the books and I'm definitely turfing the RTOS approach. I frankly haven't seen anything that the RTOS does that can't be done in a traditional interrupt-driven approach. In fact, the RTOS tends to hide things under many layers of abstraction and is a real pain to troubleshoot, especially when you're dealing with 10 year old code which has been added to by 5 different individuals over the years.

I know this isn't the information you were looking for, but hopefully you find it relevant.
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
I haven't used the CCS RTOS but I have to support several projects that use the RTXC RTOS, but not on a PIC.

For things like user interfaces (many different "screens" on a graphical display) and handling button presses, a RTOS makes things a bit easier. However, getting down to the dirty details of reacting to fast events, messages (such as CAN messages), I find a RTOS makes that truly difficult. I'm uncovering issues that we thought were due to hardware that are actually weird race conditions caused by the RTOS.

A redesign of our system is on the books and I'm definitely turfing the RTOS approach. I frankly haven't seen anything that the RTOS does that can't be done in a traditional interrupt-driven approach. In fact, the RTOS tends to hide things under many layers of abstraction and is a real pain to troubleshoot, especially when you're dealing with 10 year old code which has been added to by 5 different individuals over the years.

I know this isn't the information you were looking for, but hopefully you find it relevant.

Actually, this kind of comment is very useful - I'm dealing with a Rabbit right now and the RTOS is a little creepy... and so I was contemplating how it would translate to PIC because I'm finding I don't like DynamicC very much. They make some departures from regular C that I find a little inexcusable.

So, I asked because I'm wondering how well it would translate to CCS's RTOS as a fair comparison.

Of course, additional comments from others is welcome...

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: