CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

50MHz Frequency Counter using PIC16F877A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shahzadali

50MHz Frequency Counter using PIC16F877A
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:03 am     Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

I want to make a frequency counter which would be able to read the frequency of input digital wave up to 50MHz using PIC 16F877A. But I have faced the problem of programming language; i did all the coding in mikroC v8.2.0.0 and then simulate the circuit in Proteus - ISIS 7 Professional. The results were encouraging so I went to lab for the practical implementation. Unfortunately, the same code and hardware configuration did not work. There was no output on the LCD instead of the glowing dot matrices whereas the microcontroller was alive as indicated by the status LED.

Some of my colleagues are saying that it is due to the code which is written in microC and they are also suggesting me to rewrite the code in CCS PCWH from which I am unfamiliar (here, can you help?). You can get my complete project from the link given below (it includes mikroC code, hex, circuit schema):

http://www.ziddu.com/download/13697032/50MHz_frq_count.zip.html

Waiting for your kind response…
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:33 am     Reply with quote

I suggest you start small and convert 'sections' of code.
Program the PIC to blink an LED, then send data to the LCD.Keep backups of all your programs !
Look at the examples that CCS provides and study them, compare similar functions with microC, they are not that different
Get familiar with the CCS C, the mor eyou code the better and faster your progress will be.
Since you already are familiar with one verison of C it shouldn't be that difficult to 'port' or 'convert' to CCS C.
It's probably not with the time and effort for you to create a translation program unless you have several microC programs to convert.

As for the LCD not working, be sure to have the contrast set asbout .5 volts.Proteus is NOT the real world and doesn't care about correct wiring !!
bkamen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind the CCP units of the PIC's have an upper count limit based on freq... but you can always prescale.

I advised a couple students building a freq meter that worked with 10GHz. (big time prescaler)

-Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

The obvious reason for getting nothing on the display, is that there is no crystal shown, so the CPU is not going to run. The 16F87x family chips don't offer an internal clock, so nothing is going to happen....

As a comment, bkamen, is right, this is not going to give 50MHz operation. With some of the faster PIC18 chips, 'possibly', but on the 16F877, the _minimum_ pulse timing for the CCP inputs, is 3Tcy+40 nSec. At the maximum clock rate (20Mhz), this gives operation to 5.263Mhz, _not_ 50MHz...

In the CCS examples, ex_FREQC.c, generates a frequency counter, outputting to the serial. Simply add the FLEX_LCD driver, and send the output to this instead of the serial, and 'code complete'. I'd rate it as doable in a (short) tea break....

Best Wishes
miro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi, the 50MHz (and maybe more) frequency meter is easy to build with any 16F part by using internal prescaler. There is an old trick how to read the prescaler - you are "clocking" in the internal prescaler via toggling its input from other pin, and do count until e.g. T0 increments by 1. Just google it. Miro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: