CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

What are my options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dicky21

What are my options?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a final year product design student currently using a 2d barcode scanner (QR Code) for one of my projects. (omron v400 - data sheet: http://news.thomasnet.com/pdf/547659.pdf)

What I am trying to achieve is basically a system where by a QR code is scanned, and if accepted an electronic lock will be unlocked for 10 seconds or so.

I am completely new to programming and relatively unsure about the steps I need to take from here on in (software's + how to collect and output the data to achieve my desired result). Is this a mammoth task and completely unachievable or am I seeing this through 'rose tinted glasses' Question

All comments, thoughts, help and opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

Rich
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

hi,

I think this is quite feasable.

You need a pic with a USART like the 16F877A and a MAX 232 (depending on the output level of the serial signal).

First step is to be able to get RS232 data from the scanner to be displayed on hyperterminal or somthing similiar.
Once you know what type of messages the scanner spits out, you need to code your pic to receive data into a buffer. Parse the buffer for the desired string and then open/close the lock.

Should be fairly simple.
Your readers interface is RS232 so I really do not see any problems.

There are hundreds of posts here detailing (serial)RS232 comunications.

good luck...

g.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

If you have a prototyping board (a premade printed circuit board containing a PIC, programming header, connections to the PIC pins so you can hook up other things, and some LEDs), a stable copy of the CCS compiler (either 3.249 or 4.099 or higher), a programmer with associated software, and a computer with a serial port (either an old style traditional COM1 RS232 or a USB-to-RS232 dongle), then this is no problem.

Given that you have the above things, start off very small - flash an LED at an easily measurable rate. Then try broadcasting (via PIC serial "port"/UART) "hello world" every 2 seconds and see if you can receive that message on your PC. Then try the reverse link: receiving characters on the PIC, and flashing different LEDs based on the characters received.

When you get to this point, your original goal should be easy.
dicky21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

As someone who has never had the opportunity to get involved with programming or coding I get the impression for me to learn all of this and put it into practice in only a couple of months is less than realistic. Are there people out there that are able to help or support for a price? And where would I find such people?

Ohhh and thanks for the quick responses. much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: