CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Vegas Pro video editor and PicKit2 conflict ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsmikey

Vegas Pro video editor and PicKit2 conflict ...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

I realize not a CCS issue, but thought I would post it here so if someone else runs into the problem, this could solve it for them. Windows XP, SP3. I have several versions of Sony Vegas (and Vegas Movie Studio) for video editing. They have worked fine in the past. Today, whenever I tried to run one, it would make it through the initialization then exit with a "Vegas pro has stopped working" and the "details"showed a problem with the dinput8.dll (part of the direct X stuff). Strangely, running dxdiag (microsoft utility), also crashed in that module. Copying from another machine didn't solve it. After googling about a bit, I found someone working with their USB project that was having a problem with the HID info from their gadget causing that exact error. Unplugging my PicKit2 from the USB port solved the problem for me with Vegas AND dxdiag now runs without error. Not sure what the deal is since I had not seen any other problems with the PicKit2 plugged in, but thought I would post it here in case others trip on this strange interaction.
Hope it helps someone else Very Happy

mikey
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

This really belongs in the Microchip PicKit 2 forum.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, I have posted it there as well as the Sony forums. Just thought I would mention it here since others may run into the same thing (and it is NOT intuitively obvious as they told us in school )

http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?tree=true&m=550371

mikey
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:15 am     Reply with quote

Yes, this is a definite 'oddity' running around.
I recently had somebody install a new video Codec, on a PC, and the CCS CDC stopped working.
Looking through the .inf files, didn't find anything using the CCS VID (so it wasn't another driver on the same ID...), but removing the Codec, let the CCS CDC start working OK again...
It also interfered with another USB device (a mouse), but everything else (hard disks etc.,), kept working.
It appears there may be some video stuff around doing something that does interfere with some USB devices.
Possibly interestingly, the same Codec, loaded onto a 'virtual' PC under VMWare, on the same hardware, didn't cause a problem, and also three other machines were OK with it, but one other gave the same problem.
Using a USB sniffer, showed some USB packets getting truncated.
I'd suspect it only applies to some specific hardware combinations of motherboard, and video card (and drivers).

Best Wishes
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Turns out this is a (somewhat) known problem with the PicKit2 and the HID issue with the USB interface. For me, the simple solution is to unplug the PicKit2 when I am working with video stuff, but it apparently also causes issues with other software as well (very odd that it also breaks the Microsoft utility dxdiag). The thread I posted in the Microchip forums (and listed above ) has more details if anyone needs it. Definitely a problem with the PicKit2 USB firmware but it sure was not obvious where it was coming from.

Hopefully this will help others that run into this issue - who knows just what other apps this USB HID issue will break. We now return you to your regular PIC programming issues Very Happy

mikey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: