CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Make a USB connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
avami

Make a USB connection
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 am     Reply with quote

Hi everybody
I want to connect a PIC micro-controller to PC and send data.
I think I have to way to run this: first use USB PIC such a 18f4550, second use a chip like Ft232.
I don't know which one of them is faster and easier !?
Could you please help me to make a USB connection?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:06 am     Reply with quote

A search here would find quite a bit about this.

'Faster'?. Fastest, would be direct connection to the PIC, but implementing a block I/O device (effectively a 'disk' type storage, rather than a RS232 emulation). This though is more work. Using the FTDI solution, or the 4550, as a serial emulation, both are likely to be limited by other things than the interface, if you want to actually do much with the data....
The FTDI drivers will give higher speed than the standard USB CDC drivers used by the PIC.
Easiest to implement, the FTDI solution, bought as a complete module, and directly connected to the PIC's serial interface lines. Zero code, and zero design work for the interface. Cheapest, the PIC on it's own. Not much hardware needed (USB connector, capacitor to the Vusb pin on the PIC, a couple of resistors for connection sense, and a crystal on the PIC, that is a multiple of 4MHz, up to 24MHz max.

Best Wishes
avami

USB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
A search here would find quite a bit about this.

'Faster'?. Fastest, would be direct connection to the PIC, but implementing a block I/O device (effectively a 'disk' type storage, rather than a RS232 emulation). This though is more work. Using the FTDI solution, or the 4550, as a serial emulation, both are likely to be limited by other things than the interface, if you want to actually do much with the data....
The FTDI drivers will give higher speed than the standard USB CDC drivers used by the PIC.
Easiest to implement, the FTDI solution, bought as a complete module, and directly connected to the PIC's serial interface lines. Zero code, and zero design work for the interface. Cheapest, the PIC on it's own. Not much hardware needed (USB connector, capacitor to the Vusb pin on the PIC, a couple of resistors for connection sense, and a crystal on the PIC, that is a multiple of 4MHz, up to 24MHz max.

Best Wishes

Thanks
I could run it by USB2RS232 Module.
But I'm interested to learn USB PIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: