CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Servo motor reactive to light

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiewy

Servo motor reactive to light
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:45 pm     Reply with quote

Hello guys, I need some help on my project.

I would like to create a motor that is reactive to light. I am placing 3 photo resistor and based on the readings of these three sensors, the motor will rotate to 3 directions.

I can read the readings of the 3 photo resistor but I am having problem figuring out how to make the motor rotate to the 3 directions as in how to set the three directions. I am using servo motor.

Can someone pls help me by giving me some ideas! Thank you.
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

First when you say 'servo motor' , do you really mean a the typical hobby RC servo motor?
Second, since you can read the 3 inputs, just cut code that compares them to see who is brightest and then use that data to command the 'servo' where to go.
Again how you control the servo depends upon what TYPE of servo it is. All RC style servos do NOT have any feedback to the program so there's no confirmation as to it's real position relative to the command unlike 'real' servos.
kd5uzz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Most RC style servos expect a pulse to determine what position they rotate to.

This pulse needs to be repeated 20 times a second (1 second = 1000miliseconds, so 1000/20 = 50, so once every 50ms).

Most servos expect this pulse to be between 0.5ms and 2.5ms (500us to 2500us).

A delay of 1.5ms (1500us) is normally about center. The exact value for center depends on the servo.
Code:

While (TRUE){
  output_high(PIN_A1);
  delay_us(500);
  output_low(PIN_A1);
  delay_ms(49);
  delay_us(500);
}

This should instruct the servo (connected to PIN_A1) to move all the way in one direction.

This is not the best way to do this, and I have not actually tried this code.

Similarly, the code below would instruct the servo to move all the way in the other direction.
Code:

While (TRUE){
  output_high(PIN_A1);
  delay_ms(2);
  delay_us(500);
  output_low(PIN_A1);
  delay_ms(47);
  delay_us(500);
}

Note the delay_ms(47) + delay_us(500) = 4750us = 47.5ms.
Also that delay_ms(2) + delay_us(500) = 250us = 2.5ms.
Then that 47.5ms + 2.5ms = 50ms.

You want the entire loop to take right at 50ms to execute to get the "correct" timing.**

Be aware that most servos have mechanical stops that may prevent them from moving to these positions and that attempting to move too far in either direction could damage the servo.

In my experience a range of 750 to 2250 works well.

I usually use a 3.x compiler and there are problems using a variable to pass large values into a delay_us or delay_ms function. But from what I understand the 4.x compilers do not have the same limits and this may allow you to simply use a call such as:
Code:

delay_us(2500);

instead of:
Code:

delay_ms(2);
delay_ms(500);

to get the same delay.

As was stated, there is no feed back, so you can not ever be sure a servo has done what you ask, only that it is 'trying'. Try experimenting with the time it takes to move from 750 to 2250 - I expect it is more than a second or even two.

Good luck!

**While the spec I used to get this working states the pulse should be repeated every 50ms, you can update more often. The more often you update the 'stronger' the servo will try to move to that position. However, if you repeat it too often then the servo will get confused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: