CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

OT: looking for help out of the forum - SOLVED thanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

OT: looking for help out of the forum - SOLVED thanks
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

hello, i have a non programming related issue with to my latest project. if any one is interested in helping please contact me via private message as to not bother anyone else with this.

its a problem with a instrumentation amp built out of one LM324 (3amps + 1 buffer)... its powered by single 10V supply, it takes a differential signal from a GE DRUCK pressure sensor, and amplifies the result, and then on to the PICs ADC.

R = 1Mohm, Rgain= 50kohm trimpot set for ~70 gain (Rgain=28.5kohm)

sensor output 0 - 100mv .... I've set the gain so that when the sensor is at 70mv output my ADC gets ~5V. (as to get 1m depth = 1volt)

the problem is that when the sensor gets past a certain point, its output keeps increasing ( getting closer to 100mv) but the amplifier is stuck at 2.14 volts output.

so in other words the amp works flawlessly form 0 - ~30mv at which point the op amp stops amplifying and the output regardless of the input is stuck at 2.14 volts.

i get 20mv from the sensor i get 1.40 from my amp - ok
i get 30mv from the sensor i get 2.14 from my amp - ok
i get 40mv from the sensor i get 2.14 from my amp - WTF
i get 70mv from the sensor i get 2.14 from my amp - WTF

it cant be saturation since I'm no where near the maximum output which worse case would be ~: Vcc-2v = 8V...

gain is 70, which i don't think its excesive... and worst case scenario se sensor outputs 100mv my amp should put out 7V....still not in saturation

sensor signals are both 7.53V, the amp take care of removing this just fine.... or seems to do so.

thank you...

Gabriel

Last edited by Gabriel on Fri May 21, 2010 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
vinniewryan

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

What's your compiler version? Just kidding.

Are you getting anything between 1.4V and 2.14V from the OP amp? Such as 1.5, 1.6, 1.9, 2.1..?

I don't have time to review your math right now, but I would suggest you double-triple check the data sheets to make sure your calculations are correct to the OP AMP specs. Also you might try testing the output of the amp by simply connecting resistors from Vs/d to the input, and testing the output to see if you can get any decent increase in output. If your OP amp always peaks at 2.14 volts, it's certainly a problem with the circuit. Check your connections, pins, and do a simple test with the chip to make sure it's not bad.

Do you have a schematic of your circuit? It would be easier for me to see potential problems with a diagram of some sort.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:06 am     Reply with quote

Make sure none of the 4 op amps is saturating. In that configuration it is common to have the middle nodes saturate before the output.

At least we haven't told you to check your fuses ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:20 am     Reply with quote

hi, thanks for your help... ill check for that...

private messages please..... dont want to cause any trouble..

gabriel.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Hola Gabriel,

Quote:

its powered by single 10V supply

That means that you have a virtual GND, you get an unwanted node in the input and
according to its phase and magnitude it will produce unpredictables biassing errors.

Saludos,

Humberto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: