CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CAN bus connector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

CAN bus connector
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 am     Reply with quote

I am working on a small board which will have a CAN bus connection. Wondering what people think the best connector to mount on the board? The board has USB, Ethernet (RJ45), RS232 (9pin D) already and the CAN connection is a future option without an application at the moment. Is there a "standard" connection emerging on boards?
I've ordered the CAN dev kit by CCS, does it use a standard connection system?
Benzino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi Will,

The CCS CAN dev kit that I have comes with the 3 pin male header for CAN High, CAN Low, and Ground.

In my development, I only use two things for the CAN connection. The official Dsub9 connector or just 2-3 wires solder onto the header or lockable connector. The lockable one should be better since the contact won't loose easily.

Make sure that you have 120 ohm terminate resistor at the each end of the CAN bus if you make your own cable.

Hope that helps a little bit.

-Ben
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Hi,
GND....is it needed for CAN communications? It must be a similar situation to RS485? I hate creating GND loops especially on equipment which measures analogue levels. On projects I know are all interconnected inside the same box and hence GND levels between boards / units is the same (or at least within a few volts) I run 2 wires for RS485 even. Is a half way house a 100R resistor connecting CAN GND to board GND, at least it will act as a fuse!
collink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Will Reeve wrote:
Hi,
GND....is it needed for CAN communications? It must be a similar situation to RS485? I hate creating GND loops especially on equipment which measures analogue levels. On projects I know are all interconnected inside the same box and hence GND levels between boards / units is the same (or at least within a few volts) I run 2 wires for RS485 even. Is a half way house a 100R resistor connecting CAN GND to board GND, at least it will act as a fuse!

No... CAN is tolerant of differing ground potentials so you probably don't really need the gnd. It's supposed to work with just CAN_H and CAN_L connected between all of the devices.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
GND....is it needed for CAN communications?

It has differential receiver, so you would think that a common ground
is not required. However, most "official" CAN bus connectors have a
ground pin, as shown in the page below:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Can_Bus_Connector_Pinout.html
So the question is: Is the ground connection necessary for the CAN bus
operation ? Or is it only needed when the optional V+ power line is also
used in the CAN bus cable ? (This option allows remote nodes to be
powered from one central node).

Here are some discussions on the topic:

See Microchip AN228, on the CAN Bus Physical Layer. Specifically look
at page 8, which has a large discussion on Ground Offsets:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/groups/analog_sg/documents/appnotes/en012057.pdf

Read the post at the end of this thread. He has more info:
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/micro-controllers/26042-can-bus-differential.html

This blog post explores the issue from an empirical viewpoint:
http://www.edn.com/blog/1590000759/post/390047839.html
Then he does some testing here:
http://www.edn.com/blog/1590000759/post/380047838.html
Will Reeve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

Very interesting reading chaps. Thanks. I am apprehensive as I've had no end of trouble with GND in USB connection, so much so I always optically isolate a USB interface with a PIC now.

I also use a RS485 GND isolated transceiver if the board can absorb the cost (and external RS485 is needed). Looks like CAN is much more robust. I am going to use a MCP2551 which has a "automatic thermal shut-down" which reads like it will protect itself if a GND potential difference causes a large differential span (and hence current flow). I am going to put a 3 pin header for CAN, include GND and make a note in the handbook accordingly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: