CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS Loader connection problem with PicKit3 programmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaminid

CCS Loader connection problem with PicKit3 programmer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I am having trouble programming 16F917 microcontroller with CCS device programmer using Microchip PicKit3 programmer. I can program the chip with MPLAB ICD2 without any problem with the CCS loader but when I replace ICD2 with PicKit3 (instead of MPLAB ICD2) the CCS loader complain about not being able to establish the connection with the chip displaying the following error dialog. I reinstalled the usb drivers (downloaded from CCS website) and still I have the same problem. Does the CCS loader support PicKit3? What am I doing wrong here? I don’t have any problem in programming with PicKit 3 with MPLAB IDE.

Error Message:
Software Dirver Not Found:
There is problem with the software installation. A required filing is missing or could not be loaded to start USB communication.
The file that could not be loaded is: ftd2xx.dll

However I can see that the file ftd2xx.dll is in C:\Program Files\PICC\USB Tools\i386

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gamini

Re: CCS Loader connection problem with PicKit3 programmer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 am     Reply with quote

gaminid wrote:
Hello,

I am having trouble programming 16F917 microcontroller with CCS device programmer using Microchip PicKit3 programmer. I can program the chip with MPLAB ICD2 without any problem with the CCS loader but when I replace ICD2 with PicKit3 (instead of MPLAB ICD2) the CCS loader complain about not being able to establish the connection with the chip displaying the following error dialog. I reinstalled the usb drivers (downloaded from CCS website) and still I have the same problem. Does the CCS loader support PicKit3? What am I doing wrong here? I don’t have any problem in programming with PicKit 3 with MPLAB IDE.

Error Message:
Software Dirver Not Found:
There is problem with the software installation. A required filing is missing or could not be loaded to start USB communication.
The file that could not be loaded is: ftd2xx.dll

However I can see that the file ftd2xx.dll is in C:\Program Files\PICC\USB Tools\i386

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gamini

I just did this yesterday. So, I don't have a solution for you, only can comment on what I did:

I had prog'ed a 16F using an IDC2, that worked. Then transplanted the 16F into a 18F pickit3 dev board. I connected the pickit3 pod and that did not work. I went to the microchip website and it said to install the USB driver I was to follow instructions found in a PDF found in the directories created when installing microchips MPLAB. Those instructions were simple and probably dependent on having MPLAB installed. You plugged in the pickit3 programmer, you declined the first microsoft pop up and accepted the 2nd. Microsoft probably found the microchip driver and installed it. There are also microchip instructions for uninstalling usb drivers if you want to start over. But they are very non-cook-book. That is, you try this and that. Best to go w/the instructions from microchip right out of the box.

(FYI: I think you can blame microsoft for this USB mess. I think the next major version of MPLAB will run in Linux. I-can-not-wait!)

I can program the 16F w/my pickit3. But my problem now is that I can not get the pickit3 to do any debugging. Someone said I need something from CCS to get debugging working. But I can not imagine what. CCS is a compiler - what the heck would I need from CCS to debug a PIC program???
FvM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Excuse the ignorant question. Has CCS claimed anywhere to support PICkit 3 for debugging? I'm not aware of.
MPLAB should of course. I'm not using PICkit 3, but debugging with MPLAB and Microchip hardware adapters
is always a solution, I think including PICkit 3.

Re: CCS Loader connection problem with PicKit3 programmer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

...<snip>...
I can program the 16F w/my pickit3. But my problem now is that I can not get the pickit3 to do any debugging. Someone said I need something from CCS to get debugging working. But I can not imagine what. CCS is a compiler - what the heck would I need from CCS to debug a PIC program???

let me answer my own question:
(-- if anyone from CCS wants to correct me PLEASE DO! --)

From the CCS web page:
"This is a plug-in for the CCS Compiler Windows IDE (PCW, PCWH, etc) that enables use of Microchip's MPLAB® ICD2 and MPLAB® REAL ICE™ for debugging. "

Note the absence of "PICKIT3" from the list! The "ICD3" is not listed either! If I were to guess, it looks like you can not use the CCS compiler and expect it to work with either of these current microchip programming pod offerings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: